Freshman guards combine to fill Mitchell’s shoes

By Quinn Wilcox, Staff Writer

If Utah is going to meet its potential this year, it is going to need great play out of two freshmen.

Hannah Stephens and Janita Badon are slated to fill in for Leilani Mitchell, who plays for the WNBA, at the point guard position. Neither is expected to replace Mitchell’s production, an unfair expectation of any incoming freshman. Mitchell was arguably the best point guard to ever set foot on campus.

Instead, all the two need to do is provide head coach Elaine Elliott with solid, steady play at the position. If the exhibition game was any indication, Stephens and Badon are up for the challenge. Both players had some good moments against Southern Oregon. Stephens got the start and had 14 points, three assists and one steal. Badon led the team in steals with four, while also dishing out five assists to go along with four points. If Stephens and Badon can do this game in and game out, another Mountain West Conference championship is within reach.

As for now, Stephens is slated as the starter. She showed off her talent in the exhibition game, knocking down 4-of-5 3-pointers. When she is on the court, scoring won’t be an issue. Defenders will have to take her range into account and won’t be able to just key in on Morgan Warburton. Stephens played both guard spots in high school, so she can also offer some versatility to the position. What Stephens wants to improve on is refining her point guard skills.

“I would like to improve on my ball control,” Stephens said. “Also, just getting down the plays and trying to get everyone set up.”

Once Stephens memorizes the playbook, expect her to flourish at the position. There will be plenty of opportunities for assists with Warburton and Kalee Whipple filling the wings.

Badon will also play into the mix.

“She provides very good instincts on defense, as shown by her four steals,” Elliot said. “Her athleticism will also be a valuable asset to the team. Janita (Badon) has a lot of experience playing the point guard, as she played the position all throughout high school, so having the ball in her hands won’t come as a challenge to her.”

As Badon gains more and more experience at the college level, expect a huge jump in production. She can give the Utes some different looks, and her “in-your-face” defense will really benefit the team down the stretch.

“I can always improve on everything,” she said. “Nobody is ever at their highest potential. I did well on defense (against Southern Oregon), and did well passing the ball, but I can always work on everything.”

Stephens and Badon have the potential to form a good twosome at the point guard spot. Their talents mesh very well, and opposing teams are going to be forced to prepare for two different guards. When Stephens is on the court, expect her shooting ability to lend instant offense. With Badon, you can expect the intensity to pick up on the defensive end of the floor.

A player of Mitchell’s caliber will always be missed, but Stephens and Badon should have the Utes competitive and ready to go.

Tyler Cobb

Kalee Whipple and the other members of the Utah Women?s Basketball team hope to help their new freshman rise up and help fill the empty spot Leilani Mitchell left.