Florida will take home the national trophy

By James Boehly

With the national championship game set between Florida and Oklahoma, there should be no doubt in anyone’s mind that Florida will come out on top.

In this game, the big matchup is going to be Oklahoma’s offense vs. Florida’s defense, which will ultimately be won by the Gators.

While Oklahoma has been impressive with its recent string of dominating victories, accumulating the No. 1 offense in the nation along the way, it has not dominated on defense the way Florida has. The Sooners have given up an average of 24.5 points per game while the Gators have only given up 12.8 points per game.

Besides having a dominating defense, Florida’s offense isn’t anything to sniff at. Although Tim Tebow doesn’t have the offensive numbers that Oklahoma’s Sam Bradford has, he has proven himself against some of the toughest defenses in the SEC by throwing for 2,515 yards and 28 touchdowns.

In addition to the passing game, Florida is helped by its running game. Although Oklahoma’s running backs have more yards individually, Florida still has a higher rushing average overall against higher-ranked defenses.

Speaking of defense, both Alabama’s and Tennessee’s defenses ranked in the top five this season, and Florida was able to get by both of them. The Gators have also played four additional teams this season with defenses ranking in the Top 25, including their one loss to Mississippi.

By comparison, Oklahoma’s win against TCU is the team’s only win against an opponent with a defense ranking in the Top 25. Cincinnati was the next highest opponent at No. 26 and Texas followed at No. 51.

Although Oklahoma’s one loss to Texas doesn’t look quite as bad as Florida’s sole loss to Mississippi, the Gators hardly lost to a bad team. Even though Mississippi lost four games this season, every loss was by no more than seven points, and the Rebels managed to finish the season ranked No. 20 in the AP poll and No. 24 in the Coaches’ poll.

In addition to having the superior team, Florida has history on its side. Since winning the national championship in 2000, Oklahoma is 0-2 in title games, while Florida is 1-0. Of the two teams, Florida has the most recent national championship, winning the 2006 title.

Although Oklahoma has had a memorable season, it will not end with a national championship. Florida has shown this season that it has the balance on both sides of the ball to compete with any team in college football.

Oklahoma quarterback Bradford might take home the Heisman Trophy this week, but Tebow will be holding the BCS National Championship trophy in January.