ASUU primary elections: It’s time for a Revolution

Representing a demographic as broad as the U student body is a difficult enterprise.

The U needs straightforward student leaders who can improve the experience of all students, independently advocate student interests and8212;most importantly8212;set practical goals. Feasibility is a message we can respond to. That is why The Chronicle’s editorial board encourages students to vote for the Revolution Party.

Instead of tossing out positive buzzwords and grandiose objectives, Revolution Party president and vice president candidates Taylor Clough and Rachel Rizzo have straight8212;even candid8212;answers and authentic explanations as to how their goals can be accomplished.

Financially, Clough and Rizzo pledge to examine all student fees. Many fees were created years before anyone now attending the U arrived. In the event that a fee is deemed unnecessary, they would advocate for its elimination. The party is determined to give students a greater voice in how their fees are spent. Even more telling is the Revolution Party’s plan to cut some ASUU stipends and combine ineffecient ASUU boards. The savings would be forwarded to student groups and others.

On top of trimming financial fat, the Revolution Party plans to post updated ASUU spending records online and keep them available to the average student. Instead of offering transparency on paper alone, Clough and Rizzo insist on their personal investment to keeping ASUU accessible to students.

Other impressive platform points are their proposal to create a University Service Core and a community mentoring program. In order to avoid competition with the Bennion Community Service Center, the proposed service core would be a collaboration of U programs and groups, instead of an independent entity. Meanwhile, the community mentoring program would give students an opportunity to help students in middle and high school prepare for higher education. The program would also include a financial planning aspect to help students pay for their college tuition.

Some of their most simple plans are also their best, such as saving energy by relocating summer classes to Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design-certified buildings, a designation reserved for the most environmentally friendly buidlings.

Clough’s suggestion to give students the ability to vote on what bands ASUU brings to campus might sound trivial, but it would make a huge difference to the average student.

The party’s concern about the small things that interest students beyond the circle of ASUU or student groups speaks volumes.

Not only are their plans possible, but they’ve worked with U administrators to flesh out the details. All of these programs could reasonably be accomplished within the timeframe of a single year.

Our one reservation is that Clough and Rizzo must ensure they remain independent. Although cooperation with U administration and others is essential, next year’s student leaders need to be independent representatives of the students, not the administration. We trust Clough and Rizzo can be those kind of leaders.

Beyond the level-headedness of their platform, we are impressed by Clough and Rizzo’s genuiness. ASUU needs straightforward, candid leaders in order to be inclusive to all students. Both were unpolitical and honest in their meeting with our editorial board, and when they say they can make a positive difference on campus, we believe them.

Should the Revolution Party carry the election, they should continue to emphasize this welcoming attitude. Being elected is not a rubber stamp.

Correction: This column incorrectly stated that ASUU elections will take place Thursday and Friday. Elections started yesterday and continue until 10 p.m. tonight. Students can vote by following the link on the Campus Information System Web page.