Utes win doubleheader against SUU

By Marco Villano, Staff Writer

Despite harsh weather conditions, the Utes picked up two wins against Southern Utah University this past weekend.

After Friday’s scheduled game was postponed because of inclement weather, the Utes squared off in a doubleheader Saturday. Utah (11-12, 2-4 MWC) hosted a three-game series against SUU. They picked up two big wins, 11-3 and 3-2, and have won four of their past five overall.

“It was nice to win both games of the doubleheader,” said head coach Bill Kinneberg. “We were able to keep the momentum going after scoring 11 runs in the first game, and we held on with three runs in the second game.”

Utah worked the Thunderbirds in the first game of the doubleheader. Brian Budrow gave up nine hits and struck out five in eight innings on the mound, giving him his third win of the season.

Budrow received a lot of support from the Utes’ offense in the game. Corey Shimada, Kevin Hussey and Nick Kuroczko combined for nine of Utah’s 19 hits. Kuroczko had two triples, tying a school record from 1985. Shimada led the team in RBIs for the game with three.

After an hour break, the two teams faced off in the second game of the doubleheader. The second half of the doubleheader turned into a pitching battle between Andrew Wilding for Utah and Alec Reichle for SUU. The only runs of the game were scored in the second inning.

In the top of the second, the Thunderbirds knocked in two runs on three hits. Kyle Myers started the Utes’ rally in the bottom of the inning with a one-out double to right field. Hussey followed Myers with an RBI single, cutting SUU’s lead to 2-1. Shimada stepped up to the plate with two men on and belted a single, which scored Josh Reed and Zach Jones, who had been walked.

Both teams had opportunities to score during the remainder of the game. In the fourth inning, Utah had the bases loaded with one out but would get nothing from it after a double play. SUU wouldn’t get its chance till the ninth inning.

Stephen Streich came in to relieve Wilding of his duties in the eighth inning. He gave up a hit and no runs, but was pulled in the ninth. Greg Krause took over for Streich in the ninth inning and made things interesting.

After striking out the first two batters, SUU’s Ray Wright knocked a deep fly ball to right field that was misplayed and dropped by Hussey on the warning track. With a man on second, Krause walked Nick Freitas and it looked like Krause would blow the save.

Chester Wilson stepped up to the plate with the game on the line but was struck out by Krause, giving him his first save of the year and Wilding his first win of the year.

The final game, scheduled for Sunday afternoon, has been postponed because of snow.

Utah will host Utah Valley University on Tuesday at 6 p.m. if weather permits.

Tyler Cobb

Andrew Wilding pitched seven innings only allowing two runs to SUU in the second game of the doubleheader on Saturday.

Tyler Cobb

Utah centerfielder Zach Jones dives back safely to first base during the Utes 11-3 win over SUU on Saturday. Jones went one for three with and RBI in the first game of the double header. The Utes won the second game 3-2.