The Word

Prize Country
April 18, 9 p.m.
$10 (21+)
Burt’s Tiki Lounge (726 S. State St.)

Salt Lake City native Jake Depolitte was an integral part of numerous local bands for the majority of the 1990s. He honed his craft in bands like Lyndal Control, The Kill and the short-lived but memorable metal act Anima Nera. Since moving to the great Northwest, he’s put together a solid lineup of some of the finest musicians out of Portland, Ore., and formed the band Prize Country. The band wears its indie-hard core roots on its sleeve with Quicksand and Refused influences leading the way. Prize Country is also well-versed in traditional rock and roll and mix it all in to make one energetic package. Having just finished recording their new album8212;which will appear on Hex Records later this year8212;the band is stopping through town Saturday. If you’ve still got some energy left after the day-long performances at Slowtrain, get down to Burt’s and check them out.

Blue Turtle Seduction
April 21, 9 p.m.
Price TBD
Urban Lounge (241 S. 500 East)

Blue Turtle Seduction formed in 2001 and has been mixing genres and styles fluidly for nearly a decade. The Lake Tahoe, Calif., natives have found the perfect balance between a number of different influences8212;including bluegrass, folk and rock. The group’s newest album, 13 Floors, has been getting positive reviews all over the country and the band is in the middle of a full U.S. tour supporting its release. By adding a fiddle, mandolin and harmonica to the already solid groove of the traditional musical lineup, Blue Turtle Seduction is able to add an entirely new layer to their music. The combination of all these aspects should make for a highly entertaining and mellow night at the Urban Lounge.

The Devil Whale
April 21, 8 p.m.
$7
Kilby Court (741 S. Kilby Court)

The Devil Whale is somewhat of an undiscovered gem in the pool of Salt Lake City’s many talented local bands. Front man Brinton Jones and his band have crafted some compelling and personal songs, but they aren’t all brooding and dark. There’s an upbeat, almost poppy quality to most of the tracks that make The Devil Whale stand just outside the already overpopulated genre of alt-country that the local indie scene loves so much. The songs are all so perfectly crafted and each instrument fits together so well that once the serenading vocals come in, it’s hard to believe The Devil Whale is a collaborative effort.