Free movie events offer cheap entertainment options

By Evan Frank, Staff Writer

There are many ways to spend your time in Salt Lake City this summer. One of the best is to sit back and relax by going to a movie. But if you’re short on cash, don’t worry8212;there are many different free movie events going on in the city.

The Pioneer Picture Show and Craft Market are screening movies at Pioneer Park. This particular event screens movies that were filmed in Utah every week until Aug. 28.

“Footloose,” a 1984 film starring Kevin Bacon, features Academy Award-nominated music and was screened Aug. 7. On Aug. 14 is “The Searchers,” a 1956 Western starring John Wayne. The following week is Stanley Kubrick’s “2001: A Space Odyssey.”

The final week is audience choice. Along with the classic films being shown is the Craft Market, which includes original paintings, photography, jewelry, pottery and gifts. Films begin at dusk and the Craft Market is open from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.

Cinematic Saturdays is held at the Salt Lake City Public Library. Starting at 1 p.m. every Saturday, the public can enjoy double and triple features in the Canteena.

This past month, the Gallivan Center had Monday Night Movies. The public was invited to see films at Gallivan Center’s outdoor cinema. Classic Alfred Hitchcock movies “Rear Window,” “Dial M For Murder,” “Vertigo” and “The Birds” were screened.

The public also got the chance to vote for their favorite Hitchcock films.

“People voted on the Gallivan Center’s website in April,” said Cynthia Stringham, Gallivan’s event advertising and marketing manager.

Stringham said the entire staff enjoys the work of the classic film director, making a Hitchcock theme appropriate. Stringham also said that “Dial M For Murder” was the most successful night in terms of crowd size.

The Gallivan Center took over Monday Night Movies from the Sundance Institute this past year and had a successful month, with crowds ranging from 500 to 700 people each screening.

With a good first year under their belts, the Gallivan Center hopes to have a repeat of success next year.

School is close to starting, but that doesn’t mean the fun will be stopping. Check out the local festivals and see if anything interests you. You sure can’t beat the price.