?Chorus Line? filled with impressive cast, dancing

By Julie Abubo

The Pioneer Memorial Theatre continues its run of the Tony Award-winning contemporary classic “A Chorus Line” until the end of this week. Despite its outdated ’70s attire, the musical speaks of universal themes that will resonate with modern-day audiences in our economically challenging times. The musical is especially relevant for a younger generation because its underlying theme explores fame and the idea of pursuing one’s passions versus paying the rent.

Set entirely on an audition stage, “A Chorus Line” tells the story of a diverse set of 17 dancers auditioning for eight spots within a chorus line for a Broadway production. It is unique in that it never leaves that audition phase, but moves forward through the stories told by each hopeful candidate auditioning. It takes a revealing and anxiety-filled turn as each hopeful is asked to sell out his or her personal life history for a big shot at a role. Desperate to score the job, each dancer reveals his or her story throughout the audition, ranging from gut-wrenchingly hilarious to heartfelt and somber emotions.

The dancing in “A Chorus Line” impresses. Director and choreographer Patti D’Beck, an original cast member of the 1976-1980 Michael Bennett production, has flawlessly translated the musical’s original choreography as well as its equally flamboyant visual aesthetic. Even the missteps or slightly off-timing jumbles, natural for stressed-out hopefuls, blended in so authentically as any other turn or kick. The role of Richie, played by Thay Floyd, gives a fantastic athletic dance solo that is especially fun to watch. Standout dancer Kimberly Dawn Neumann, playing Cassie, is also worth noting for her equally impressive vocal strength.

The true depth of the show, however, lies within the cast. Bobby, played by Michael Kirsch, nearly steals the show with his hilariously deadpan monologue, rich with exact hand gestures that still motor on even when the spotlight shifts elsewhere. The soul of the group is Paul San Marco, played by Miguel Angel Falcon. Although Paul admittedly is an easy character to ignore, Flacon delivers a superb, heart-wrenching performance with Paul’s matter-of-fact, slightly abashed monologue.

The final set of weekday shows for Pioneer Memorial Theatre’s “A Chorus Line” will begin tonight and go until Thursday, starting at 7:30 p.m. Weekend shows Friday and Saturday begin at 8:00 p.m. with a Saturday matinee at 2:00 p.m. U students can receive half-price tickets for “A Chorus Line” and all other Pioneer Memorial Theatre shows for the rest of this season after paying a one-time $10 processing fee. Student rush tickets will be sold to U students for $5 if any seats are available one hour prior to the show. For more information and to purchase tickets online, visit www.pioneer
theatre.org.

Pioneer Memorial Theatre is showing the award-winning play ?A Chorus Line? through the end of the week. The underlying theme should still be relevant to students despite its ?70s attire.