Research reveals need for social equality

By Douglas Jennings

You are what you don’t eat. Or actually, you are what is not available to eat in your neighborhood, apparently. Who’d have guessed?

A recent U study conducted by experts from the family and consumer studies department found that “living near a variety of restaurants, convenience stores, supermarkets and even fast-food outlets actually lowers your risk for obesity.” The study also notes that individuals who live more than a half mile from “any food outlets” are generally more obese than those who do not.

Which neighborhoods in Salt Lake City actually boast such options? I live in the 1500 East and 1500 South neighborhood of Sugar House. The area seems to be one of the only business districts in the city located directly within the same jurisdiction as a residential zone and boasts not only a wide variety of different cuisines8212;everything from French to Middle Eastern to bagels to coffee8212;but also The King’s English, an independent bookstore, and retail outlets. Directly up Emerson Avenue is Emigration Market, a grocery store within walking distance from the central business zone. The only variable missing seems to be the neighborhood bar. Having so many options literally across the street gives 1500 East and 1500 South a cozy, communal feeling, and apparently a lower risk of obesity. Good to know, but what about the rest of the city?

Although the Avenues, 9th and 9th, and downtown have variations of the Sugar House scheme, there are portions of the valley that sorely lack such options. Although some neighborhoods such as Rose Park and the Marmalade are slowly but surely gentrifying, wide sections of Salt Lake City remain void of food options for residents. The study suggests that neighborhood income is a major factor in determining local food choices.

According to the study, “Residents in low-income neighborhoods8212;defined as having an average household income in the lowest quartile of the 2000 census8212;were 26 percent less likely to be obese if there was one or more healthy grocery options within walking distance, compared with low-income residents without neighborhood retail food outlets.”

In the constant push to fight obesity, to eat better, to eat more locally, to eat organically8212;in essence, to be green in saving yourself and the planet8212;findings such as these only highlight the economic disparities that hinder such development. The bottom line is that some have the privilege of living in a neighborhood close to a variety of food options, and some do not. Until we rethink the large class gap in this country, those who make less will continue to gain more living in neighborhoods that lack healthy options.