Curious minds

Rose Creek fifth graders attempt to get robots to follow tracks at Engineering Day on Monday in the Union. Kimberly Roach / The Daily Utah Chronicle
Rose Creek fifth graders attempt to get robots to follow tracks at Engineering Day on Monday in the Union.
Kimberly Roach / The Daily Utah Chronicle

SCIENTIFIC FUN The U peaks elementary kids’ interests in the sciences by letting them have hands-on experiences

Throwing food in a classroom would get most students in trouble, but this week, 24 elementary schools brought their students to the U to test catapults by launching marshmallows.
The College of Engineering is hosting local fifth and sixth graders for the annual Elementary Engineering Week to help boost interest in the field.
There were various activities for students to explore, such as building straw towers, using artificial arms and working with tracking robots. The main event was a marshmallow launching competition, for which individual classes brought their catapults and shot at a target to see who could get the most hits.
Tara Moore teaches sixth grade at Hayden Peak Elementary School, and this was the first time she brought her class to the event, which is going on its 15th year. Her class is learning about the medieval age and its weapons, so catapults fit right into the curriculum.

Rose Creek Elementary students compete in building towers with straws during Engineering Day held on Monday in the Union. Kimberly Roach / The Daily Utah Chronicle
Rose Creek Elementary students compete in building towers with straws during Engineering Day held on Monday in the Union.

“We want to get these kids more involved in science and peak their interest,” Moore said. “The STEM subjects are really struggling, so we want to support it any way we can.”
The STEM subjects have had a recent push from all parts of education, and this particular event allows students to see what engineers actually do with knowledge of these subjects.
“Everyone thinks math and science are so hard, and it’s a hard mindset to change,” said Deidre Schoenfeld, coordinator for outreach and diversity with the College of Engineering. “We want to impact them while they are young, so when it does get hard, they don’t get scared, but [instead] see it as a challenge.”
While doing fun activities, students and faculty from the college sneaked in engineering principles at a fifth or sixth grade level, such as energy transfer in the catapults.
Schoenfeld said it is important for the young students to come to a university setting, but it also benefits the U’s engineering students who get to interact with the kids at the stations. They can see the children’s energy and be reminded why engineering is so cool, she said.
Midas Creek Elementary fifth graders experiment with clay fish during Engineering Day on Monday in the Union. Kimberly Roach / The Daily Utah Chronicle
Midas Creek Elementary fifth graders experiment with clay fish during Engineering Day on Monday in the Union.

Garrett Meeks, a sophomore in material science and engineering, was one of the student volunteers helping with demonstrations. He was surprised at how engaged the kids were. He believes the event helps introduce engineering from an early age and wishes he would have had the chance to see the types of technology they were showing when he was in grade school.
The elementary students all seemed to enjoy the hands-on activities. While making aerodynamic fish for the fish blitz, Abby Palmer and Alana Williams, fifth graders at Midas Creek Elementary School, said they were having fun thinking about things in a new way. While learning about these subjects in classrooms, it is different for the kids to come here and have these resources.
Katherine Earl, a teacher at Rose Creek Elementary School, said it is sometimes hard to teach engineering principles because of the time and supplies you need. She continues to bring her classes to the U because they can see what is in store if they pursue engineering, math or the sciences, and she gets new ideas for teaching strategies.
Phillips 66 provided a $10,000 donation, but since the College of Engineering funds the event, the money was given to the elementary schools for math and science supplies, Schoenfeld said.
The event began Monday and will continue until Friday in the Union Ballroom.

• S

SMar 26, 2013 at 7:57 am

http://languageandgrammar.com/2008/07/29/has-your-curiosity-been-peaked-or-piqued/
    Posted by languageandgrammar on July 29, 2008
    I understand why it’s tempting to use the word peak when describing an excited stage of interest in or curiosity about something. After all, a peak is the pointy top of something, so it’s natural to think of a peak when you think of your interest or curiosity swelling, as in Her eloquent dissertation on the development of 20th century architecture peaked my interest in the topic.
    I said that I understood; I didn’t say that it was right. The correct word is pique, as in Her eloquent dissertation on the development of 20th century architecture piqued my interest on the topic or My curiosity was piqued by his subtle innuendo.
    Save the peaks for the mountain tops and lemon meringue pies.
    For more common grammar errors, refer to Sherry’s Grammar List.

• S

SMar 26, 2013 at 7:57 am