‘The Wild Feathers’ to showcase eclectic mix of music in SLC

Photo Courtesy thewildfeathers.com
Photo Courtesy thewildfeathers.com

The versatile component of the Nashville band, The Wild Feathers, clearly presents itself in every performance the four-person group takes on. The fact that The Wild Feathers has toured with Paul Simon and will open for Bob Dylan in April proves this newly formed band carries an old soul.
The contrast of new and old takes center stage in the sound of the band’s debut album, “The Wild Feathers,” which will be showcased at The Depot this Saturday.
Playing an eclectic mix of folk, blues, country and rock ‘n’ roll, The Wild Feathers takes its place among the classic rock artists. The saying, “in with the new and out with the old,” is nothing more than an overused cliché to The Wild Feathers. The four musicians clearly accept both retro tones and innovative modes of musical compilations.
The Wild Feathers’ mix of tones on its self-titled album represents the novelty of the band’s technical melting pot. Each individual musician transmits an expertise in their own specific styles, which combine to create melodic tunes. For instance, the song “Backwoods Company” includes fast-paced melodies and transitive lyrics that any post-adolescent music-enthusiast would christen his or her theme song.
By distinction, the song “The Ceiling” contains a slower tempo reminiscent of an epic country anthem. Perhaps this is why the group has the ability to perform alongside an assortment of genres. Even when it comes to writing music, the band seems to persuade listeners they don’t single out sounds.
To add to the excitement, The Wild Feathers will perform its second concert in Salt Lake City. The posse will demonstrate their ability to adapt to the likings of any viewer by opening for Kip Moore, a country musician.
“We usually read the audience and never play the same set list,” said band member Joel King. “It’s always exciting when we play in a city we’ve never played before.”
King believes introducing himself and The Wild Feathers to a fresh venue makes the show a hodgepodge of excitement and energy.
Utah rock ‘n’ roll lovers might also appreciate The Wild Feathers’ equally outstanding members, as no musician outshines the other. The band parallels an a cappella medley of singers, and each voice has a significant role.
If anything, The Wild Feathers is unique and determined to make their presence known, even if they are not quite sure how to define themselves.
“We are the four-headed beast/monster,” King said. “Whatever you want to call it.”
The Wild Feathers’ old-school energy introduces the ensemble as a group that can creatively harness the music of past generations while maintaining a modern sound that gets every age to listen.