Emotional reality of ‘Cowboy Mouth’ accessible on stage

‘Cowboy Mouth’ will be performed at Good Company Theatre from April 5-20. Friday and Saturday performances will take place at 8 p.m., with Sunday performances beginning at 4 p.m. Tickets are $10 in advance or $12 at the door. Photo Courtesy Good Company Theatre
‘Cowboy Mouth’ will be performed at Good Company Theatre from April 5-20. Friday and Saturday performances will take place at 8 p.m., with Sunday performances beginning at 4 p.m. Tickets are $10 in advance or $12 at the door.
Photo Courtesy Good Company Theatre

Live theater is a medium uniquely qualified to present deeply emotional stories and heavy content. In the intimate setting of the theater, the audience feels the roiling anger, hears the choked sobs and recognizes the beaming happiness taking place on stage with a clarity that other media, such as film, can only attempt to replicate.
This raw, genuine aspect of theater is exactly why productions such as Good Company Theatre’s “Cowboy Mouth” are more of an experience than a show.
A story of unbridled passion, hindered aspirations and rock ‘n’ roll, “Cowboy Mouth” tells the story of wannabe rock star Slim and his most obsessive fan, Cavale. The couple spends the majority of their time in a hotel room, singing, searching for inspiration and struggling with their own ideas of who they are: a process that creates a ticking time bomb of a relationship. The resulting clash showcases the volatile and harsh emotions that play out best in an intimate theatrical setting.
“I really love this show, especially the way we’re presenting it this year at Good Company,” said Austin Archer, the actor playing the part of Slim. “It’s where I feel the direction of my storytelling is headed. I think it needs to evolve from the traditional theater venue, with the audience just sitting in the dark, because movies already dominate that venue and means of going to watch a story. The way it’s told here, is that you are literally sitting in a room with us. You’re flies on the wall, and that’s really cool. It’s a very immersive and different experience.”
Nicole Finney, who will be making her directorial debut with “Cowboy Mouth,” was especially pleased by the raw emotional themes audience members will be able to experience from the production.
“I find the piece so relatable, and there’s so much that we can get [from it] in our own way,” Finney said. “We are all plagued by our own fears, insecurities and self-doubt. Then we begin to self destruct, which is what is going on in this show. The show is like that in between of trying to manifest what you desire and how your demons get in the way.”
Emilie Starr, who plays the part of Cavale, said regardless of how the audience reacts to the unapologetically real performance, she hopes they will walk away with a new perspective on the themes it presents.
“The images that we give [the audience] on stage, I hope they will take with them and think about them at a later time,” Starr said. “The show really provokes food for thought, and it is hard to get out of your head once you’ve watched it.”
However, the heavy subject matter does not drown out the fun of the piece, Archer said. He encouraged those who might not have an interest in theater performances to give “Cowboy Mouth” a try.
“For those who like to go see a friend’s rock band at a house party or see touring bands but maybe don’t go to see ‘Seven Brides for Seven Brothers’ at the local theater, this is their kind of show,” Archer said. “For the college students who want something fresh and hip and cool, and that speaks to them, this is it.”
“Cowboy Mouth” will be performed at Good Company Theatre from April 5-20. Friday and Saturday performances will take place at 8 p.m., with Sunday performances beginning at 4 p.m. Tickets are $10 in advance or $12 at the door.