Boot Camp prepares seniors for graduation

Career counselor, Jason Nelligan, advises students during Senior Boot Camp on Tuesday at the Student Services Building. Karina Puikkonen / The Daily Utah Chronicle
Career counselor, Jason Nelligan, advises students during Senior Boot Camp on Tuesday at the Student Services Building.
Karina Puikkonen / The Daily Utah Chronicle

For most seniors, graduation is just around the corner. It’s common for some soon-to-be graduates to not have a job lined up, not know what they want to do with their lives and be confused about what will happen post-graduation.
Senior Boot Camp, a series of workshops held this week, is a collaborative effort by career ambassadors and counselors to benefit graduating seniors by helping them solidify fundamentals like résumés, cover letters, interviews and networking, said Joe Sindad, a career counselor assisting in the workshops.
At these workshops, graduate students who are career ambassadors, career counselors and professionals give advice to students to further assist them as they plan out their lives after graduation. According to Career Services, 10-18 students have attended each event this week. Sindad considers these students to be taking the initiative.
“The beauty of our office is that 99 percent of the students that come to use [its] resources are being proactive,” Sindad said. “They really want to get advice and they’re usually there for a good reason.”
Sindad thinks this period of the semester is the right time to reach out and support graduating seniors.
“This time of the year, seniors are picking up their caps and gowns, and reality begins to hit them,” Sindad said. “They’re approaching this daunting path, and some don’t have jobs lined up. They realize they need to start applying for jobs and plan for a successful life. Senior Boot Camp is to advertise our office [Career Services] as a go-to resource.”
Sindad believes Senior Boot Camp will be a success.
“Different topics are being discussed at each workshop,” he said. “Students can choose which workshops they want to go to. They don’t have to sit through workshops they don’t want to hear. It’s a less formal environment — it’s not a one-on-one appointment. So it’s a more inviting setting.”
Monday afternoon, seniors had the chance to ask questions and hear from a panel of female professionals at one of several workshops available. These women have high-standing positions and spoke to students about how they got there, what obstacles they had to overcome, about fulfilling a passion versus the practical profession, balancing life with work and the importance of networking.
Jessica Dickason, a senior in marketing and a career ambassador, thinks Senior Boot Camp is beneficial to students.
“The workshops provide really good ways to network and a good start for a job hunt,” Dickason said.
Rachel Anderson, a senior in public relations, plans to attend these events mainly to receive advice from experts, as she did in the women’s panel.
“This was my first event, and I enjoyed it a lot,” Anderson said. “I think it’s a good networking opportunity, and it’s a chance to get good advice. As I graduate, I am finding out more where I want to be in life. So it’s good to get extra advice from professionals. I am definitely going to go to more events.”
Several workshops are scheduled every day this week to cover multiple topics that benefit graduating students who are diving into the work force.