Softball: Utah continues losing streak, looks to change in home series

Oregon catcher Alexa Peterson slides back to second base safely, just moments away from being tagged out by Utah infielder Jackie Sweet. Courtesy Michael Arellano
Oregon catcher Alexa Peterson slides back to second base safely, just moments away from being tagged out by Utah infielder Jackie Sweet.
Courtesy Michael Arellano

Although the Utes fared much better this time around, the end result of Utah’s final game against Oregon was the same. The Ducks remained perfect at home after topping the Utes 5-2, finishing out a three-game sweep of the Utes (14-19-1, 1-8 Pac-12).
Hopes were high for Utah after three innings. Back-to-back home runs from outfielder Chalese Fankhauser and second baseman Jackie Sweet in the top of the third inning put the Utes up 2-0. Pitcher Kayce Nieto allowed the Ducks just one hit in the first three innings. However, in the bottom of the fourth, Utah committed three errors, including two in a row that led to an unearned score.
“We’re not going to play a perfect game on defense, but the errors hurt us,” said head coach Amy Hogue. “If we would have scored in the third, held them in the bottom of the third and scored in the fourth, I think we win that ball game.”
The momentum then shifted in the Ducks’ favor. Oregon scored five unanswered runs in just two innings.
Nieto’s strong start didn’t last. After a dominant first three frames, Nieto finished with five runs allowed, three of which were earned over six innings.
On the flip side, Utah was not able to capitalize with runners in scoring positions. Before yesterday’s game, Marissa Mendenhall said the main problem Utah was having was not turning hits into runs. Hogue said this trend carried over into the final game of the series.
“We left seven on base total, and I think that is the difference in the game,” Hogue said. “We can’t put two runs on this team and expect to win. We have to put another big number up.”
Aside from Fankhouser and Sweet, the Utah bats were cold. Kate Dickman and Kelsi Hoopiiaina were the only other Utes to get a hit against the Ducks.
Despite the sweep, Utah seems to be taking the best from the final game. Hogue said the experience the team gained from playing Oregon will help propel them forward.
“I think we just played the best team in the conference, and possibly the team that might win the whole thing this year,” Hogue said.
Utah’s three latest losses add to a brutal start to the conference schedule. The Utes have won just one of their past 14 games, hardly the start to the conference season they were hoping for. Utah’s goal of finishing .500 is looking less and less likely, but relief could be on the way.
Utah starts a five-game homestand Saturday and will begin play against UCLA (25-11, 2-7 Pac-12) with three games in two days. The Bruins are coming off three straight losses at home to Washington.
“We can only get better from here,” Fankhauser said. “Just take the fact that we hung with [the Ducks] this game, and take that into UCLA, and realize we can beat these guys.”