Baseball: Utes hope to gain momentum in upcoming BYU rivalry game

Junior TJ Bennett runs to third base during a game against BYU on March 26 at Spring Mobile Ballpark. Bennett and the Utes play another game against the Cougars tonight in Provo. Erin Burns / The Daily Utah Chronicle
Junior TJ Bennett runs to third base during a game against BYU on March 26
at Spring Mobile Ballpark. Bennett and the Utes play another game against the Cougars tonight in Provo.
Erin Burns / The Daily Utah Chronicle

It took an epic comeback, 10 innings and walk-off heroics for Utah to claim a win against BYU in its first meeting at Spring Mobile Ballpark on March 26. Tonight, the Utes will face off in Cougar territory, and they expect another tough game.
“We definitely want to take them down,” said Utah outfielder Tyler Relf. “Like we played them last time, it was a close game. It’s always close against BYU.”
The winner of the four-game season series will earn three points toward the Deseret First Duel point total for their school. Utah is currently beating BYU in the duel this season, 25-19. The winner receives bragging rights, a trophy and a plaque. The Utes have only claimed the accolade once since its inception in 2009 but are tracking toward a second as the schools approach the end of the year.
While the Deseret First Duel brings another layer of competition to the rivalry, Utah head coach Bill Kinneberg is most excited about the return of pitcher Tanner Banks tonight. Banks will be on the mound for the first time since suffering a broken finger against Saint Mary’s in early March. He currently leads Utah’s starting rotation with a 2.48 ERA in four starts.
Additionally, as their starting rotation continues to evolve and navigate injuries, the Utes will continue to rely on Trey Nielsen to perform on Tuesdays as a pitcher rather than as a first baseman or designated hitter.
“I’m anxious to get back on the field and get both Tanner and Trey innings,” Kinneberg said. “It’s always a competitive game against BYU, so I don’t expect anything less. It’ll be a hard-fought ball game.”
The Cougars will counter with starting pitcher Jeff Barker. He brings a 4.36 ERA and a 3-2 record into the matchup. BYU (17-14, 5-4 WCC) is coming off a three-game sweep of Santa Clara last weekend. The Cougars have won six of their last seven contests.
Utah (14-14, 4-8 Pac-12) hasn’t been as hot, although it has already matched last season’s win total with 14 victories. The Utes are coming off a series win against Washington State in which they won the first two games. However, Utah was shut out in the third game and will be using the loss as motivation to knock BYU off its high horse.
“I think everyone is going to be a little bit more hungry since we lost bad to this team today,” Relf said after Sunday’s 5-0 loss to Washington State University. “We’re going to take that focus and also realize it’s the Cougars. I think we’ll take them down.”
Game time is set for 6 p.m. tonight at Larry H. Miller Field in Provo.