Letters to the Editor: Anti-abortion doesn’t mean anti-LGBT

In Rose Jones’ column, “Eugenics and anti-abortion both white-male sentiments” (Opinion, April 2), she draws an exaggerated connection between sterilization and opposing abortion rights and even engages in some of the stereotyping that she rails against. Obviously sterilization is repugnant and was blatant discrimination against the poor, the LGBT community and minorities. However, if you oppose abortion (according to Jones’ thinking), you must also belong to the same movements that are also anti-woman and anti-LGBT. Nothing could be further from the truth.
This can be clearly shown in the wide support for much-needed LGBT protections in housing and employment. Further, there has been a sea of change in marriage equality views. In contrast, the number of people opposing abortion has risen and intensified since Roe v. Wade. According to a CNN poll, 62 percent want all or most abortions made illegal. That is a 10 percent increase since 1995 and is a position that I share: that abortions should be illegal except in cases of rape, incest and health dangers. I think that as medical technology has improved and heart beats and fingers are more visible, Americans are rightfully caring more about the precious and powerless among us.

Ryan Burningham,
Junior, international studies