‘Spring Awakening’ to deliver mature topics, upbeat music

The Babcock Theatre will be showing the musical ‘Spring Awakening,’ based on the play by Frank Wedekind, April 12 through April 28. Photo Courtesy Babcock Theatre
The Babcock Theatre will be showing the musical ‘Spring Awakening,’ based on the play by Frank Wedekind, April 12 through April 28.
Photo Courtesy Babcock Theatre

Babcock Theatre’s latest student production touches on issues usually swept under the rug. While some students might shy away from issues of adolescent sexual desire and insecurities often labeled as taboo, the students performing in “Spring Awakening” and director Denny Berry are enthusiastic about portraying the complicated characters in this spring musical performance.
The Tony-award-winning musical “Spring Awakening” follows a group of teenagers in repressive 19th century Germany who are hungry for rebellion and seek to freely express their desires and anxieties. With the aid of rock ‘n’ roll, the teenagers find themselves pushing against the power block as they grapple for a consolidation between their taboo desires and the conservative teachings of the adults around them.
This feeling of push and pull between what feels right and what one is told is right is a familiar one on a college campus, whether it is incoming students in the midst of adolescent turmoil or parents who are seeing the struggle from the other side.
While “Spring Awakening” generally chastises the adult characters, Sarah Shippobotham, head of the University Actor Training Program and an actress in the musical, said this performance examines adults in a new light.
“I think the danger with the musical is that it tends to demonize the adults,” Shippobotham said. “I think what Denny’s tried to do — and been quite successful at — is trying to see the adults as being human beings who have their own struggles and who perhaps do their best.”
Although the U’s depiction of “Spring Awakening” tries to balance old and young characters, the issues depicted in the musical are not for the faint of heart. Homosexuality, suicide, abortion and abuse are just a few of the topics that rear their heads in “Spring Awakening.” But the musical’s goal is not to be vulgar, but to highlight the lack of communication on racy topics and, in the end, evoke hope for the future.
“I think it really highlights the generation gap, and the fact that … people perhaps still find it difficult to talk to their parents about some of the issues that are in the play,” Shippobotham said. “I think the musical explores very successfully what happens when the communication breaks down.”
“Spring Awakening” brings more to the table than shocking content. The upbeat rock ‘n’ roll music and choreography bring a layer of fun to somewhat stressful scenes.
“The dancing is spectacular,” Shippobotham said. “[The students] have been beautifully challenged, and they do it really well. And the music is great and the rhythms of the music, I mean at times I just want to bop about as well because they’re very infectious.”
Although the musical is unconventional — a parental advisement has been sent out with the press release — there is a need for stories like “Spring Awakening” to be told, especially in places like Utah.
“I think because it resonates so well with young people,” Shippobotham said. “I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a whole community out there waiting for it to be done.”