Football: Players vie for starting positions

Quarterback Travis Wilson hands off the football to running back Kelvin York during Saturday’s scrimmage. Brent Uberty / The Daily Utah Chronicle
Quarterback Travis Wilson hands off the football to running back Kelvin York during Saturday’s scrimmage.
Brent Uberty / The Daily Utah Chronicle

Though he wasn’t the projected starter, senior running back Karl Williams is taking every opportunity he is given to convince Utah coaches he might deserve some extra time in the backfield come fall. Williams was the bright spot of Saturday’s scrimmage, running for 101 yards on 10 carries and two touchdowns.
“I want that job,” Williams said. “But it comes down to the coaches and what they want.”
Williams isn’t the only tailback playing well. Kelvin York and Lucky Radley both ran the ball effectively in the scrimmage, leaving Williams to believe everyone will get a shot carrying the ball this upcoming season. York, who missed the team’s first scrimmage with turf toe, had 35 yards and a touchdown on seven carries, and Radley had 58 yards on 12 carries.
“I think we all are going to have a say-so in what happens this season,” Williams said. “I think we all are going to get in the ball game this season.”
Saturday also showed the quarterback position may not be easily filled. Sophomore quarterbacks Travis Wilson and Adam Schulz both split time with the first team offense, which may indicate Wilson doesn’t have a stranglehold on the position.
“I think we ran the ball really well,” Wilson said. “But we didn’t pass the ball as well as we wanted to.”
Williams and head coach Kyle Whittingham said that there were some “self-destructive moments” that botched the scrimmage for the offense.
“We can do better,” Williams said. “We had an off day. On third-and-one, the defense stopped us, and that’s something that is unacceptable for us.”
The Utah offense twice faced third-and-one scenarios, but came up empty-handed both times.
“Not as productive offensively as we need to be,” Whittingham said. “We get a drive going then we snap the ball over a head, drop the pass or do something that killed the drive. I think we are very close to being very good, but we got to get over that hump.”
Big plays have been lacking in Utah’s new high-tempo offense. Except for Williams’ running, the offense made life easy for the Utah defense. A blown passing route by a receiver or bad throw would stop the drive, and the kicking unit would come in for a field goal or a turnover to bring out the next offensive group.
Freshman quarterback Brandon Cox missed the scrimmage with a foot injury and will likely miss the rest of spring camp.
“It’s disappointing not having Brandon Cox out there,” Whittingham said. “He was a guy that was really coming on.”
Struggles at quarterback notwithstanding, the Utes are pleased with the performance of the tailbacks and offensive line. With the annual spring game approaching this Saturday, more players will get an opportunity to earn a spot in what is becoming a more open battle to start.