Dogs give comfort to stressed students

Katie Fredrickson, a senior in history, gets a kiss from a pit bull named Rowdy during ‘Pause for Paws’ on Wednesday. Erin Burns / The Daily Utah Chronicle
Katie Fredrickson, a senior in history, gets a kiss from a pit bull named Rowdy during ‘Pause for Paws’ on Wednesday.
Erin Burns / The Daily Utah Chronicle

When the stress of finals hits students, there are many techniques to manage emotions. For those who like animals, there is an opportunity to “Pause for Paws” and spend time with dogs. The College of Social Work is hosting this event, which brings in dogs from Therapy Animals of Utah so students, faculty and staff can come relax while spending time with dogs.
“They offer unconditional acceptance and love. The dogs don’t care what you look like — they just give their love,” said Gaelyn Derr, executive director of the group.
This is the first year it has come to the U, and it is also the first time a class involving animal-assisted therapy is being offered in the college. The master’s course observes the effects of animals on people going through difficult situations.
Derr said it has been proven that the presence of dogs can reduce blood pressure and heart rate. That is why they were brought to campus when people start stressing over finals.
Makensie Pratt, a senior in social work, said they could not have come at a better time. She has seen the proof in research but felt it firsthand yesterday with the excitement and happiness inside the social work atrium.
“This was one of the better ideas for events this semester. I love the dogs,” Pratt said.
The dogs travel frequently to assisted living centers and hospitals, and Derr said they are increasingly requested.
Traci Madsen brought her pit bull Tacoma to the event, and he was constantly rubbed, scratched and talked to. The dogs are all certified as therapy dogs, which takes training. They have to be able to handle any situation and bring comfort to any person.
“This is a great time to come to the students. I remember finals time would make me physically sick. We just want the students to be less nervous for what’s ahead,” Madsen said.
She has continuously seen the effect Tacoma has on people, which is what makes the volunteered time and effort worth it. Tacoma has helped catatonic dementia patients speak and countless people reduce stress. Madsen is hoping to take her to local jails next.
Five dogs of all shapes came Wednesday to the social work atrium, and they will be there Thursday from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Kate Barnewitz, a senior in anthropology, wishes they could come every day because their calming spirits help everyone relax.
“You can talk to the dogs, and I always like to tell them positive things. The positive input can reflect back to you. They are all so sweet and patient that they deserve the praise,” Barnewitz said.
Derr and Jennifer Nozawa, public relations specialist for the College of Social Work, hope to continue this tradition and bring the dogs in more often.
“Any time a human can benefit from the presence of animals, we are there,” Derr said.