Campus endures constant construction

N-Construction3Kevin Tao
Staff Writer
First-time visitors of the U may think they are unlucky that they saw the campus during what appears to be a period of heavy construction.
In reality, according to the Facilities Management website, the U undergoes constant construction and renovation in order to provide “a safe, functional, and attractive campus environment.”
Cory D. Higgins, the executive director of facility and construction operations, said frequent construction is necessary.
“There are a lot of needs and requests to either improve, renovate or expand campus,” he said. “‘Construction’ includes renovations, major replacements, [and] modifications as well as new space.”
Even though it may not seem like it at times, Facilities Management makes an effort to minimize the impact construction has on the campus community.
“Projects are coordinated to avoid multiple disruptions to the same area whenever possible,” Higgins said. “Projects are communicated through meetings, our website, and in particular the construction impact map, accessible off the campus map.”
Annika Thompson, a freshman in business and film, said she looks forward to taking classes at the new David Eccles School of Business building and exercising at the Student Life Center in the future.
“I think it will be worth the noise,” she said.
Chris Gordon, a junior in mathematics, said the construction does not inconvenience him.
“I don’t notice it too much,” he said.
All of this work is contained in the U’s Campus Master Plan, initiated by former President Young in 2005.
Facilities Management is working on several projects, including new buildings and expansion and improvement on existing buildings.
New buildings include the Football Center, to be completed by July 4, 2013; the Sorenson Arts and Education Building, to be completed by Dec. 2013; the Student Life Center, to be completed by Jan. 2014; the Ambulatory Care Center, to be completed June 30, 2014 and the S.J. Quinney College of Law, to be completed by Feb. 28, 2015.
In addition to new buildings, the Kennecott Building is receiving renovation and expansion, and an upgrade to electrical infrastructure is underway.
According to Higgins, the U spent about $200 million in 2012 on 400 separate projects, ranging from $10,000 to over $50 million.

• S

SeanJun 20, 2013 at 10:56 am

The question is, how much of all this construction are students paying for? That is, I guess, how much is coming out of student loans?

• S

SeanJun 20, 2013 at 10:56 am