Creative rock sound sets O’Brother apart

A&E-O'Brother 15 by Alex GibbsThe name O’Brother recalls images of George Clooney meandering through Mississippi clad in a black and white striped jumpsuit. However, the Atlanta-based alternative rock band O’Brother has little in common with the Soggy Bottom Boys and more in common with Pink Floyd, Radiohead and Queens of the Stone Age.
The band consists of lead singer and guitarist Tanner Merritt, bass guitarist Anton Dang, guitarist Johnny Dang, guitarist Jordan McGhin and drummer Michael Martens. With three members playing guitar, the threat of cluttered tunes — sounding more like noise than music — looms over each track. Luckily, the band’s creativity and experience allows their sound to toe the line between a head-banging, heavy rock and a dreamy, melodic sound.
“We’re a heavy band that listens to weird music, or we’re a weird band that listens to heavy music. [We] haven’t decided which one sounds better,” Anton Dang said.
In 2011, O’Brother’s first full-length album “Garden Window” earned praise from both listeners and critics, and allowed the band to tour extensively. They shared the stage with many well-known acts, which included Manchester Orchestra, Cage the Elephant and Alice in Chains.
Through each performance, the band worked to perfect their sound and stage presence and their hard work ultimately earned them their own headlining tour.
“It’s always a little nerve-racking when a band is headlining for the first time … It’s definitely very exciting though. I think the band enjoys being able to play a longer set and have more creative control,” said Lindsay Bailey, the band’s publicist.
Released Aug. 20, O’Brother’s sophomore album “Disillusion” builds on the success and sound of the first album. Their new album establishes intense dichotomies between tenderness and abrasiveness, vulnerability and impenetrability and dreamland and reality.
The tracks, dynamic and layered, drift from one to the other seamlessly. Hit tracks on the new album include “Context” and “Transience.” Both songs are energetic, brimming with electric guitars, distorted bass, pounding drum lines and howling vocals.
“To me … [the new album] is about not being scared of disillusion,” Martens said in an interview posted on the band’s website.
“We don’t want to be all about doom and gloom, and we’re not trying to question things in a negative manner. We want people to know that lyrically and musically, we’ve got an optimistic, realistic view on things,” Martens said.
O’Brother will perform this Friday at Kilby Court. Native, Daylight and Huldra open the show. Tickets are $10 in advance and $12 at the door. Doors open at 7 p.m.