Hinckley Institute honors Jowers

The portrait by Galina Perova of the Hinkley Institute's Director Kurt Jowers is unveiled Wednesday in the Hinkley Caucus Room.
The portrait by Galina Perova of the Hinckley Institute’s Director Kirk Jowers is unveiled Wednesday in the Hinckley Caucus Room.

The Hinckley Institute of Politics unveiled a portrait of their director, Kirk Jowers, in the Hinckley Caucus Room Wednesday.
Jowers has been director at the Hinckley Institute for eight years. According to a statement released by the Hinckley, since Jowers’ tenure, the institute has added hundreds of new local internships and approximately 40 new international internship opportunities.
Tagg Romney, Jowers’ friend and the oldest son of former Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney, spoke at the dedication. Romney spoke about their time at Harvard Law School and said Jowers measures life by how many people he has helped and not by how many material things he has.
Romney joked that Jowers is the most interesting man in the world.
“Why, you must ask? Well, let me tell you. Kirk Jowers is the most interesting man in the world: ponies want Kirk for Christmas.” Romney said during the speech.
Jayne Nelson, associate director of the Hinckley, said she was thrilled when Jowers became the director of the Hinckley’s Institute.
“I couldn’t work for a nicer person,” Nelson said in an interview. “He has so much energy, enthusiasm and innovative ideas. So the portrait — he’s very deserving of this honor.”
Two other speakers at the event were Whitney Benns and Matt Sanderson, former students of Jowers.
Sanderson, who graduated from the U and is now an associate in the political law practice group of Caplin & Drysdale, referred to Jowers as “incredibly loyal.”
“The world is full of people who will throw others under the bus at the first sign of trouble. That’s not Kirk,” Sanderson said in his speech.
Jim Hinckley, son of the Hinckley Institute’s founder Robert Hinckley, said the Hinckley Institute began to expand into international internships several years ago, and the program has gone extremely well thanks to Jowers and his staff.
Jowers’ wife, Kristen, said Kirk Jowers loves his job at the Hinckley Institute and has a passion for engaging students in politics.
“He has a true belief in making our nation, our community, our world a better place by getting people involved in politics. I’ve watched him do it for 21 years,” she said.
Galina Pervoa painted the portrait. Pervoa is a Russian artist who immigrated to the United States in 1989. She was trained at the Repin Academy of Art in St. Petersburg and was awarded best of show in the International Portrait Society during 2010.
Kristen Jowers said Pervoa has been working on Jowers’ portrait for almost two years.
Pervoa also spoke at the event and said she is proud to have painted Jowers’ portrait.
“[He’s] a very distinguished man, but at the same time approachable man, and a humble one,” Pervoa said.