Granary Row offers shops, entertainment

Over 500 participants worked to construct a pop-up festival space know as Granary Row, located at 700 South between 300 and 400 West — Katrina Vastag

The dirt-ridden roads found on the west side of downtown Salt Lake City may not appear to be a hot spot for hangouts, but pocketed on 700 South between 300 and 400 West is a relatively new and hipster space called Granary Row.
Industrial design and innovation have erupted throughout Salt Lake City, starting with the SixtyNine Seventy Project that concluded last summer. The project highlighted urban planning and design in downtown Salt Lake City in hopes of polishing up the city and turning it into a cultural space centered on the arts.
More recently, there was an independently organized Technology, Entertainment, Design Conference in Salt Lake City. Themed ‘City 2.0,’ it focused on how an improved Salt Lake City would look and how it would function.
Granary Row, which began back in June as a community idea, continues this theme. Concocted at a public city conference, the project was the collaboration of over 500 participants who worked to construct a pop-up festival space.
The range of vendors and products offered at Granary Row gives it a relaxed, marketplace ambiance that provides a place of interest for people of all ages — and this small space is certainly no corporate shopping mall.
Handmade jewelry, clothing and knick-knacks are sold across this small area. Food trucks provide locally made eats, including several cultural cuisines such as Greek, Thai, Spanish and Chinese.
There is also a beer garden made of pallet boards, where people can order drinks and sit in a quaint lounge area decorated with backyard string lights. The area is close to Granary Row’s small stage, which makes it easy for people to hear music put on by local performers.
Some of the vendors include Mineral + Matter, a portable clothing shop that sells its merchandise out of a truck. It also has homemade American Chinese food such as ham fried rice and spring rolls.
Works of art featured at Granary Row include handmade prints made by artists. One such artist is Shirley Jackson, who owns a small print business called Morning Magpie.
“I started selling prints at Craft Lake City,” Jackson said. “But I wanted to see if [Granary Row] was a good place to sell them. We’re still pretty new at this, so only time will tell.”
Another unique local artist, Cindy Bean, uses X-Acto knives to produce the paper cut art she places into frames. Bean got her idea for cut art through a tradition she observed in 2006 when she travelled to Germany. “I always thought paper cutting looked cool,” Bean said. “I’m self-taught. I started when paper-cut art wasn’t really a big thing in the U.S., but now it’s becoming more and more popular.”
However, Granary Row isn’t just artistic — it also encourages sustainability. Brady Lars, from Lars Love Letters, creates handmade recycled prints, letters and cards that have a distinctive earthy and aesthetically pleasing design. Lars started his craft three years ago. “I just felt like it was something that I didn’t see done a lot,” Lars said. “I wanted to create something that encouraged environmentally friendly art.”
Breaking the mold from traditional artist vendors, Amy Karpowitz, a senior in health promotion at the U, also comes to Granary Row with her own handmade necklaces and pins, which she crafted carefully from upcycled antique pocket watches. “I either add to each piece or I subtract from it,” Karpowitz said. “It’s a meticulous process. Most people think I just throw things together. But it’s actually quite an intimate way to create jewelry.”
Down from the individual vendors were Granary Row’s permanent shops. This includes retail and furniture. Also, there is a small section for the Utah Humane Society. Every weekend, a representative from the Humane Society brings down cats and dogs to hopefully be adopted by Salt Lake City locals.
“I think the whole place has a good vibe,” said Bert Hanson, a vendor who sells handmade musical instruments and goods made out of reclaimed and recycled materials. “I get to meet new people, check out all the stuff the other vendors bring and listen to music. It’s just a fun, laid-back experience.”
Granary Row will be holding events every week until Nov. 15. They are open Thursday through Saturday from 6-11 p.m. This Friday, Kathleen Frewin will perform at 8 p.m., and on Saturday, there will be a Brazilian DJ. Admission is free to all.