Football: Team focuses on improvement

Lucky Radley receives a handoff from Travis Wilson during the game last Thursday against UCLA. The Utes lost 34-27.

The biggest storyline coming out of the Utes’ loss last Thursday to then-No. 12 UCLA was Utah quarterback Travis Wilson’s six interceptions. The Ute defense countered with one pick, but despite losing the turnover battle by five, Utah only lost the game by a touchdown.
“There are no moral victories, I firmly believe that,” said Utes head coach Kyle Whittingham at Monday’s press conference. “Having a chance to win at the end was pretty remarkable and I think that is a credit to our players and how they continue to fight.”
Whittingham said it is no excuse, but Wilson came into the contest against the Bruins feeling ill.
“He was in bed the whole game-day leading up to the game,” Whittingham said. “He got sick actually the night before that and hasn’t gotten over it yet. He’s under medical care, obviously, and they gave him a new dose of some different antibiotics.”
Utah expected Wilson to be at practice on Monday night, although he did not make it to the press conference in the afternoon. When he returns to the practice field, the Utes will be addressing the issues that sparked the turnover frenzy last Thursday. After taking a look at the film, Whittingham said that most of the interceptions were not entirely Wilson’s fault.
“Very few were on Travis. He got hit a couple times just as the ball was coming out, which changed the direction of the football and the flight,” Whittingham said. “A couple of them were right off the receivers’ hands … If it’s bad decisions, just bad throws, that’s one thing … But it was not all on Travis.”
Utah defense feeling good, looking good
The Utes’ secondary has been scrutinized since fall camp. It has been viewed as the weakest link on Utah’s team in 2013, but that is rapidly changing.
Utah was in the game with the Bruins from start to finish. The defense was resilient as it was called on to get the ball back time and time again following interceptions. Whether it was forcing a three-and-out or picking off UCLA quarterback Brett Hundley, the defense was Utah’s biggest strength and players hope for that to continue.
Defensive back Keith McGill was a huge contributor in the secondary, as he was responsible for the one interception Hundley threw.
“Keith McGill, the play he made on the pick six, if we would’ve won the game, that would’ve been the play of the game,” Whittingham said. “But we didn’t win so it’s a moot point. Keith is second in the league right now in passes defended.”
McGill has always known that defense is Utah’s strength and he wasn’t surprised at the unit’s stellar play versus UCLA.
“I believe that’s been the key for years in Utah, the defense. That’s the reason I came here,” McGill said “Being a part of that, it does make me feel good, and that’s not only me, but the whole defense feels good that we’re able to keep that tradition going.”
Running back rotation
With each week, there seems to be a new halfback leading Utah’s rushing charge. Last week, Lucky Radley got the lion’s share of the carries. Before that, it was Bubba Poole and before that it was
Kelvin York.
The rotation is not based on poor performance or injuries. Instead, it’s based on relatively equal production.
“We’re trying to find out if one of the three will separate themselves, and right now they’re all getting good production,” Whittingham said. “Lucky’s over six yards a carry, Bubba’s over five yards a carry, Kelvin is around four yards a carry, so it’s not a situation where we’re searching for someone who can get us some production because we’re getting production. It’s where we’re searching for someone who is gonna separate themselves, and if not, they’ll all continue to get carries.”