Ng’s magic show bewitches all

Norman Ng shows magic tricks as part of the Norman Magic Experience to students on Nov. 14 in the Carolyn Tanner Irish Humanities building. Photo by Brent Uberty/The Daily Utah Chronicle
Cards flew in the air and magician Norman Ng caught one with a hockey stick. The card happened to be the exact card that one of the volunteers had chosen in her mind. Ng performed this and other tricks at a magic show in the Carol Tanner Irish Humanities Building auditorium Thursday evening.
The show consisted of displays such as card reading, mind teasers and making a dollar disappear only to have it reappear in a treasure box underneath one of the audience member’s seats.
Toilet paper was scrunched up and retrieved from unexpected places. One audience member’s Samsung Galaxy S4 ended up in a Pringles can.
Ng, pronounced “ing,” is a self-taught magician who was intrigued by magic at the age of eight. He has been performing for over 21 years throughout the United States to over half a million people.
“My most favorite part about performing magic is the reactions that I receive from people,” Ng said.
ASUU collaborations manager Stefanie Arevalo said ASUU has been looking for different types of talents to bring to the U.

Sharu Kannan, a freshman in biology, brought her younger and older sisters to the show.
“I loved the show and thought it was just great with all the tricks and laughs that were incorporated,” Kannan said.
“Overall, it was a good show but did not seem like the most expensive production. However, it was still entertaining,” said Ahmad Kaya, a junior in economics.
l.phanthalangsy@ chronicle.utah.edu