Soccer: Utes drop OT heartbreaker to A&M

Midfielder Kaycee Buckley chases down a ball in Utah's 1-0 OT loss to Texas A&M Friday Nov 15 at College Station. Photo courtesy Bryan Johnson - The Battalion
Midfielder Kaycee Buckley chases down a ball in Utah’s 1-0 OT loss to Texas A&M Friday Nov 15 at College Station. Photo courtesy of Bryan Johnson – The Battalion
In their regular-season finale against Colorado, a golden goal saved the Utes’ season. A week later, the tables were turned.
Texas A&M junior Allie Bailey beat Utah with a strike in the first overtime of Friday’s first round of the NCAA Tournament, giving the Aggies a 1-0 victory and ending the Utes’ season. Bailey got hold of the ball at the top of the box and managed to dribble through multiple Utah defenders until it was only Ute goalkeeper Lindsey Luke standing in her way. Bailey’s shot beat Luke and ended in the back of the net, sending Texas A&M into the Round of 32.
“It was just kind of a scramble and those things happen,” said Utah head coach Rich Manning. “It was definitely unfortunate for us.”
As the Aggies celebrated, Manning urged his players to keep their heads up and focus on the things they accomplished in 2013.
“I’m extremely proud of this team,” Luke said. “We did everything we could’ve done. Now we know what the heart-wrenching feeling is like. It makes us want to go further next year.”
Playing in their first tournament game since 2006, the Utes showed no signs of being intimidated or scared of the moment. Employing the same brand of defensive-minded soccer that has allowed them to have such a successful season, the Utah back line never let the Texas A&M attackers get into any kind of rhythm in their attacking third during the first half.
“We benefited from playing the Pac-12 schedule,” Manning said. “When we put the game plan together, the players were confident in themselves and each other and we executed it really, really well. I was really pleased. The first half was great.”
The Utes picked their spots to attack and did create some chances. Utah counter attacks led to many crosses into the Texas A&M box, but the Utes weren’t able to deliver a strike into the net. Junior forward Ashton Hall had the best chance for Utah in the first half when she blasted a shot from just outside the box that barely soared over the crossbar.
Early in the second half, Ute freshman Taylor Slattery nearly gave Utah the lead. After a long free kick into the box, she received a pass just outside the penalty box and fired a low strike toward goal. The well-struck ball went just outside the post.
The Aggies pressed up late in the game in hopes of generating some more scoring chances, and they were successful in that endeavor. Shortly after the change in attack scheme, Texas A&M junior Kelley Monogue attempted a shot that went just wide. Moments later, fellow junior Shea Groom blasted her own attempt that also went wide.

In the closing minutes of regulation, a slow-rolling ball got through the Ute back line and was on its way to Luke. Utah senior Monica Okapal and Aggie junior Annie Kunz raced each other for it. The two players were shoulder-to-shoulder and contact was made, causing both players to go down. No foul was called on the play and Luke was able to clear the ball away.
“At the end of the second half, we had a hard time keeping the ball,” Manning said. “I think they got a little momentum out of it, but certainly nothing dangerous in my mind.”
Texas A&M’s final chance in regulation came when Kunz sent a through ball from in- side the box that got Monogue free on goal. Her shot beat Luke but went wide of frame.
“Overall, to perform at that high level against the SEC champion, against a team that has been to the tournament forever, on their home field in a really raucous field environment, speaks volumes about our players,” Manning said.
The Utes finished the season with a record of 10-5-6.