Men’s basketball: Runnin’ Utes tackle Boise State tonight

Princeton Onwas drives to the basket against Ball State at the Hunstman Center. Photo by Chris Ayers.
Princeton Onwas drives to the basket against Ball State at the Hunstman
Center. Photo by Chris Ayers.
The Runnin’ Utes have used a soft schedule to build a 6-0 record. On Tuesday night, they get to see how legitimate that perfect record is. Utah will get its first true test in their young season when they travel to Idaho for a showdown with undefeated Boise State.

“We’re excited,” said Ute forward Jordan Loveridge. “It’s always good to have better competition.”

Last season, the Broncos (6-0) made their first NCAA Tournament appearance since 2008 and have carried that momentum into a strong start to their 2013-14 campaign. Boise State is currently receiving votes in both the AP and coaches poll. However, the Broncos have only played one game against a team with a winning record, a 76-60 victory over Portland State.

In many ways, Utah and Boise State have had similar early seasons. Both teams have played lesser opponents and handled them easily. The Utes are currently ranked third nationally in margin of victory, beating opponents by an average of 34 points, while the Broncos have defeated all but one of their opponents by double digits.

Boise State junior Anthony Drmic leads the potent Bronco attack. Boise State leads the nation in points per game at 97.7. Drmic leads the team averaging 21.5 points.

The Utes have also showed how they can light up the scoreboard, averaging 90.7 points per contest, good enough for 6th in the nation. But Utah head coach Larry Krystkowiak has stated that even with the improved offense he wants the defensive end to define his team. So far this season the Utes are living up to their coach’s expectations, holding opponents to 56.8 points per game and Krystkowiak attributes the team’s offensive success to their strong defense.

“We want to be the Runnin’ Utes, and itstarts on the defensive end,” Krystkowiak said.

Tonight will also serve as the Utes’ first road game of the season and their only road game before the Pac-12 season starts. Tipoff is at 8:00 p.m.
and will be broadcast on CBS Sports.

Onwas in the starting lineup

After coming off the bench in the first five games of the season, freshman Princeton Onwas made his first career start last week against Ball State. Krystkowiak rewarded Onwas with the starting nod following strong performances in the Global Hoops Showcase. Onwas replaced Dakarai Tucker in the starting lineup, but Krystkowiak said that the decision is not final.

“Princeton gave us a great lift in his first start,” Kyrstkowiak said. “We shuffled the starting lineup tonight, but this isn’t permanent. We wanted to have a better defensive matchup and Dakarai gave us solid minutes off the bench. We have depth and so we are going to reward some people.”

Utes adjust quickly

Through the first few weeks of the college basketball season, foul calls have risen nationwide as a result of the new emphasis on hand checking.
This has not been the case for the Utes, as they have only committed 12.8 fouls per game, a number which leads the nation.

Krystkowiak said the team emphasized guarding by moving their feet and not their hands from the beginning of training camp.