Women’s basketball: Utes unsatisfied with victory

Senior forward Michelle Plouffe shoots a three-pointer over a UVU defender in last night’s game. The Utes won 81-70. Photo by Brent Uberty.
It’s not often that a team is unsatisfied after a win, but that’s the way the Utes felt after an uninspiring victory over UVU Wednesday night at the Huntsman Center.

With the game tied at 33 at the break, only a second-half surge allowed Utah (4-4) to top the Wolverines (1-9) 81-70. Despite knowing that UVU’s Katie Kuklok is a dynamic scorer, the Utes allowed the sophomore to tee off for 34 points, nearly half of the Wolverines’ total output

“Obviously, I am happy that we won the basketball game,” said Utah head coach Anthony Levrets. “I told our team that it is fortunate that there are no pictures in the win-loss column because that was as ugly a basketball game as I have been a part of. We managed to win. Give Utah Valley a lot of credit.”

It certainly didn’t look like the Utes were going to manage to win in the early going as they struggled to stop the Wolverines. In particular, Utah players were failing to communicate with one another on that end of the floor, which led to Kuklok’s success.

“The first half it was like we were not playing defense,” said Utes’ forward Michelle Plouffe. “We were playing defense without talking, which was not playing defense really, and so that put us right where we should be because we did not really come out to play in the first half.”

Things changed on defense in the second half, however, in large part thanks to Plouffe. In the final stanza, the senior focused on stopping Kuklok and wound up with four steals on the evening. Offensively, Plouffe led the way for Utah with 21 points and she pulled down 13 rebounds.

“There is a reason why she is an All-American,” Levrets said. “She can do so many things and has so many ways that she can impact the game. I think the biggest part was taking Kuklok out of the first part of the second half. That was probably the most important thing she did tonight, was that stretch that allowed us to get that cushion.”

While Plouffe was the star Wednesday night, she wasn’t the only Ute who had a solid contribution in victory. Freshman Emily Potter scored 16 points, snagged nine rebounds and swatted six shots, five of which came in the first half. Sophomore guard Danielle Rodriguez and freshman Malia Nawahine had 11 points each.

Up next for Utah is a date with BYU on Saturday afternoon. In preparation, the Utes will be focusing on how to improve defensively. The Cougars are undefeated with a 9-0 record.