Dance-off contributes to U cancer research

Calvin Chhour Photography
Students dance all night in the Union Ballroom for the Rock The U event last Friday. Photo by Calvin Chhour.

Students dance all night in the Union Ballroom
for the Rock The U event last Friday. Photo by Calvin Chhour.
The Union’s windows shook from the sound of the bass for nearly 12 straight hours this weekend during the Rock the U benefit dance-a-thon.
Dozens of students participated in the dance-a-thon, called “Dance til’ You Drop,” which ran from 9:30 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Saturday. Other students danced sporadically outside of the competition for hours. The event raised money for cancer research at the Huntsman Cancer Institute. Adam Tuero, a student in psychology, won the competition, along with VIP tickets to the Grand Kerfuffle in April.
Rajul Ramchandani, a freshman in computer science, said he decided to enter the contest because he loves dancing and hoped to win the Kerfuffle tickets.
Before the dancing started, Ramchandani said, “I want to [stay until the end], I will try my best.” He said his favorite part of the dance marathon was the environment of the event which was sponsored by ASUU.
Sarah Vaughn, director of ASUU’s Rock the U Board, was in charge of putting on the dance marathon. Vaughn hopes students realized that they were doing “something bigger than themselves” by contributing to the Huntsman Cancer Institute. Her goal was to “raise awareness for cancer research and have students stand on their feet and know half of what cancer patients go through.”
Students who showed up to the dance-athon recieved a free t-shirt and were able to participate in the events set up by ASUU. Tickets were $10. The oxygen bar and free food provided by Barbacoa and Ugurt were the most popular sections at the event. Monster energy drinks and Starbucks coffee were also available to help students stay awake and alert while dancing.
Ping-pong tables were open for students to use and ASUU set up a gaming section in the Union Ballroom as well.
Rachel Wootton, a senior in political science and geoscience, volunteered at the event. “It’s important because many people are affected by cancer,” Wootton said.
Wootton said she was excited with the number of students that showed up to support the cause and enjoyed the activities the Rock the U Board hosted.
“I decided to volunteer because I have had family members with cancer and I want to help in whatever way I can,” Wootton said.
Vaughn said she expected up to 500 students over the course of the dance marathon, which wrapped up the Rock the U week of events, all of which donated to the Huntsman Cancer Institute. Rock the U has become an annual event at the U since 2007.