Utes take on Wildcats in break from Pac-12 play

Anissa Urtez throws to first during the game against Ole Miss on March 3. Photo by Erin Burns.
After transferring to the Pac-12 three years ago, Utah’s games against in-state rivals have taken somewhat of a backseat to its new conference play. The Utes, however, are not taking their doubleheader on Wednesday against Weber State any more lightly than a conference contest.
“Every single game is important to us,” said freshman Anissa Urtez. “It doesn’t matter who we play. We have to take every game one step at a time … We don’t really focus on who we play, but rather how we play and how we can get our jobs done.”
Utah is looking to use these games against the Wildcats to work on some of its most recent struggles, specifically scoring. Head coach Amy Hogue has said that leaving runners on base, especially in scoring positions, has been a problem for the team thus far in the season. Despite being unhappy with losing, Hogue knows there are lessons to be learned. According to Hogue, if the team can learn from those things, the losses will turn to wins.
In the last three games, the team has been somewhat on a roll, despite dropping all three. In its final contest against UCLA last weekend, Utah finished strong by taking the No. 1 Bruins to the brink.
“It doesn’t really have to be a win to get on a roll,” Hogue said. “I feel like we are doing some great things. We need those great things to start to go on a tear in the state of Utah.”
The Utes record against in-state schools is currently 1-1 on the season. Utah did have a chance to improve its in-state record a couple weeks ago, but a scheduled doubleheader against UVU was cancelled because of inclement weather. Utah will get a chance to make up those games in a little less than two weeks’ time.
One thing Utah can take pride in yet continue to improve on is its double-play defense. In 27 games played, the team has registered 23 double plays, good enough for tops in the Pac-12.
The first game of the doubleheader against Weber State will start at 2 p.m. with the second game slated to begin at 4:30 p.m. Both games will be played in Ogden.