Crimson Nights lacks energy

Photo by Dane Goodwin.

Photo by Dane Goodwin.
Photo by Dane Goodwin.

For Felix Vivanco, a junior in economics, Crimson Nights on Friday was “kind of, like, meh.”
UPC’s circus-themed Crimson Nights celebration had all of its usual stations, such as airbrush tattoos, build-a-button, inflatables and a dance floor, with some circus-related stations thrown in, including an all-reptile petting zoo, carnival games and tarot card reading. But John Wright, a junior in biomedical engineering, left the event unimpressed.
“I feel that while the activities are intriguing and the dancing is fun, the repetition of everything from tarot readings to reptiles causes these enjoyable activities to become uninspiring,” Wright said.
Downstairs, the food court was filled with tabling student groups, as well as outside vendors like Trader Joe’s and Jimmy John’s. A DJ blasted dance floor jams for students in the ballroom.
Vivanco said as the academic year drags on, students become more busy and are less likely to come to UPC’s biggest event.
“The best Crimson is the beginning of the year, then it’s all downhill,” Vivanco said.
For other students like Marissa Record, a junior in biomedical engineering, the problem is not the timing, but the events themselves.
“[UPC needs] anything to make Crimson more than awkward dancing and a couple of tables,” Record said.
Crimson Nights began in 2003 and each event has a different theme. Jackie Bafford, a junior in mathematics, hopes UPC will include live music, instead of a DJ, to bring more life to the tradition.
“I think Crimson Nights is a good event the first time, but by your junior year you have pretty much seen it all. Something new would be nice,” Bafford said.
Even though the dance floor attracts the most people, Colin McNamara, a junior in biology, is more exhausted by a different Crimson tradition.
“I’ve seen enough freshmen puke their guts out for a lifetime,” McNamara said.
@EmMcBean