Students struggle to the April 23 finish line

A student puts the exercise bike desk to good use in the Mariott Library on Tuesday afternoon. Photo by Dane Goodwin.

With just two weeks left before graduation and the beginning of summer, U students are feeling more frenzied than ever to finish their final projects and exams and get off of campus — whether it be only for the summer or forever, in the case of seniors preparing to begin their new life chapters away from the U.
The common plague known as “senioritis” is affecting some students, such as Theresa Krause, a senior in computer science.
“You would think that having only a week left of classes would encourage hard work, motivation and a strong finish, but senioritis has definitely set in,” Krause said.
Krause plans to start a full-time job in New York City in June and is looking forward to that “light at the end of the tunnel.”
“I can’t think about that yet because the senioritis will just get worse,” she said.
For Sarah Duensing, a junior in political science, finals this year won’t be too much of a burden as she is more focused on the adventures that await her this summer.
“I took it pretty easy this semester, so finals are gonna be a breeze, and I’ll be done next week before they even officially start,” Duensing said.
This summer she is going to Nepal on a study abroad with the Department of Film and Media Arts.
Some students are not leaving campus for the summer. Rhet Gardner, a transfer student from Southern Utah University and a junior in Spanish, is going to take three classes this summer to gear up for training to be a physician’s assistant.
“I need to catch up,” Gardner said. “It’s kind of a crazy time.”
Madison Black, ASUU’s vice president-elect and a junior in biomedical engineering, said although finals have not yet started, she is already studying for them and that she’s stressed about staying organized.
“This summer, I plan on studying for the MCAT and going to Newport Beach,” Black said. “For next year, I’m planning my schedule and organizing everything for ASUU. I’m so excited for this semester to be over, but I’m wishing I had been more organized.”
Finals are already taking a toll on Stella Liechty, a senior in multi-disciplinary design who will not graduate until next year.
“I’m pretty much a zombie right now,” Liechty said. “I’m super stoked that the semester is winding down. These last couple weeks are absolutely insane, as usual, but I’m proud of my projects so far, so that’s good. And this summer I’ll be taking classes and traveling and maybe getting a low-key internship.”
Classes end on April 23.
@katrinavastag