Editor’s Note, Sept. 2014

(Photo by Conor Barry)

(Photo by Conor Barry)
(Photo by Conor Barry)

Fall is my favorite season. The days start getting a little shorter and the air a little cooler. I can’t wait for the leaves to start turning this year. There’s nothing quite like spending an autumn evening whipping flies on the river. That’s why this issue is all about angling.
I’m pretty new to the sport of fly fishing, but I’m hooked. I can’t get enough of it. I spent many hours wading through rivers this last summer. I’m stoked to share some tips from my own experience and that of some expert fishermen.
Courtney Tanner takes us through the life of a fish in a Utah hatchery — from birth to release in a local lake.
Fish Tech, a local fly shop, has all the gear you need to get started. Ryan Miller walks us through how the shop got its start.
Fly fishing isn’t all about catching fish. There is a lot of preparation that goes into it before you even step in the river. Learn about why some fly fishers tie their own flies with our profile on Scott Ward.
In our usual style, we feature a Utah national park. This time we take you to Zion National Park. Zion is perfect for adventurers — especially in the shoulder season when the crowds start to disappear. From what I hear, there are even some opportunities to fish the Fremont River near the park.
Last but not least, we are throwing you a curveball. We are previewing the Craggin’ Classic, a rock climbing event to be held at the Alta Ski Area — an event you won’t want to miss.
We look forward to spending more time fishing Utah rivers and lakes in the upcoming fall weather.
@conorbphoto