Major Expo Allows Students to Explore Options

(Photo by Dane Goodwin)

(Photo by Dane Goodwin)
(Photo by Dane Goodwin)

“Last year not that many people stopped by, so we revamped a bit,” said Jeff Dalby.
For Dalby, an IT specialist with the University College, “revamped” means popcorn machines. The free snacks, as well as surveys to get further feedback, aimed to improve the U’s annual Major Exploration EXPO. Last year about 935 students attended the expo, according to the University College’s annual report. This year organizers wanted more.
Held in the Union Ballroom on Wednesday, the expo gathered representatives from across campus to give students information about potential majors, internships and other programs. With tables displaying information and prizes, students could ask questions about each of the colleges, with the hopes of narrowing down what they want to major in or to find a new one altogether.
Taylor Checketts, an undecided freshman, attended. Before coming to the expo, he had a few ideas for his major, but wanted to see all of his options before deciding. He narrowed down philosophy as a potential option and eliminated parks and recreation.
“It’s not so much the booth is bad, but it informed me that its not something I want to go into,” Checketts said.
Zach Franzoni, an academic advisor for the College of Architecture and Planning, said the majority of students know what they like, but don’t know exactly what each college offers. One example, he said, is students who mix up engineering and architecture. Franzoni said he was happy with the variety of students who attended the expo on Wednesday.
“We had a handful of SLCC transfer students, a few people changing majors, transitioning over, and another handful of incoming freshmen,” he said.
Mary Ann Dresher, an academic advisor for the U’s School of Music, had kazoos and candy along with pamphlets and flyers to catch students’ attention at her booth, but she said most stopped by for information.
“I think they’re scared,” Dresher said, noting that students may be anxious about majoring in music.
Even if students aren’t interested in majoring in music, Dresher hopes non-majors will participate in performances and ensembles.
The expo is held a few weeks before first-year mandatory advising begins. Kira Jones, an academic advisor for the College of Fine Arts, said this “gives us a good spike in appointments” for students looking for more information.
@SeymourSkimmer