Students Athletes Honored for Community Service

(Photo Courtesy of Utah Athletics)

(Photo Courtesy of Utah Athletics)
(Photo Courtesy of Utah Athletics)

(Photo Courtesy of Utah Athletics)
(Photo Courtesy of Utah Athletics)

Buzzing energy filled Rice-Eccles Stadium on Saturday as students cheered on the football team; however, the hype was not just for the Utes — it was also for community service.
The game marked the first presentation of the Utah Athletes in Service Award, an honor that recognizes volunteer work among student athletes. This year it was presented to Ashton Hall, a soccer player in psychology and chemistry, and Rebekah Winterton, a graduate student in accounting and a cross country and track and field athlete.
Dean McGovern, executive director of the Bennion Center, and Chris Hill, director of athletics, created the award.
“We talked about recognizing student athletes for their commitment to the community, and we put the award together and made it happen,” McGovern said. “We hope this award will go out every year … We would like to see it continue. It seems like a lot of people are excited about it.”
Hall and Winterton received a plaque and recognition at the game as recipients of the award, but in the future McGovern said he hopes the award will come with money for recipients to donate to the charity of their choice.
Hall has served more than 200 service hours while attending the U, including volunteer hours at St. Mark’s emergency room, research assisting at the Moran Eye Center, tutoring children at a refugee camp and volunteering at a VA nursing home.
“I am very honored to be one of the first recipients for this award,” Hall said. “Like any athlete, I put much time into my sport, and it is easy to forget about those that need your help in the community.”
She said community service has helped enrich her student experience at the U.
“Starting service in the community my freshman year has tremendously enhanced my ability to compete in sports and in school,” she said. “The opportunity to serve gives way to the understanding of the gifts you have been given.”
Hall said she thinks the award will be helpful for student athletes by motivating them to serve the community.
Winterton has served more than 150 hours with 15 community organizations, including Lincoln Elementary School, Milcreek Rest Home and Lunch for the Lunchless.
“I was told that it is a new award, so I am even more honored that I was selected as one of two athletes the first year it was presented,” Winterton said. “It was also fun to receive it at the Oregon game. When we received it at the beginning, the fans were still hyped up, so it was really cool to feel the energy.”
Winterton said she thinks community service helps develop team skills that athletes need.
“I think service helps me with my leadership skills on my team,” Winterton said. “By practicing serving others, it makes it easier for me to spend time doing things for my teammates [even] when I have a long list of other things I need to do.”
The Bennion Center anticipates presenting the award again next year to two new recipients.
@katrinavastag