The Chronological Ranking of the Top 10 Holy War Games

Starting in the early 1990s, the BYU and Utah “Holy War” became much more competitive, as close games and memorable finishes became the norm. Those close contests continued right up to the game’s hiatus. Here’s a list of the top contests of the modern rivalry in chronological order.

1993 — Utah: 34, BYU: 31
The Utes were really hurting this season. They were 6-5 heading into this game and had lost eight defensive starters through the rigorous season. Despite that, Utah was able stick with the Cougars and even intercepted BYU QB John Walsh five times. Additionally, Ute running back Jamal Anderson rushed for 146 yards and led the Utes to their first win in Provo in 21 years.

1994 — Utah: 34, BYU: 31
— Courtesy of the Salt Lake Tribune
Leading up to this game, this matchup already had a ton of hype due to the fact that this was the first time both teams would face off as ranked opponents. The game was a close one, as there were four lead changes in the fourth quarter, but thanks to Bronzell Miller’s sack of BYU quarterback John Walsh, Utah escaped with a 34-31 win.

1998 — BYU: 26, Utah: 24
Oh, how this one hurt for Utah fans. This was the last game both schools would play in the WAC, and it came down to the wire. With sloppy games being played on both sides, the Utes had a chance to win the game in the closing seconds of the game. They reached as far as the BYU 15-yard line before attempting a game-winning field goal. To the dismay of all of Salt Lake City, Utah kicker Ryan Kaneshiro’s kick clanked off of the upright, giving the Cougars the win.

2000 — BYU: 34, Utah: 27
This game was huge in the sense that long-time BYU coach LaVell Edwards was set to retire, making this the last game of his career. Utah was trying to play spoiler for the old head coach and nearly did it, as they were up by a single point late in the game. The Utes had the Cougars deep in their own territory on 4th-and-13 before BYU made a miraculous play to gain the first down and eventually the win.

2001— BYU: 24, Utah: 21
Utah could not have more motivation heading into this one. Not only was it the annual Holy War game, but BYU was also undefeated heading into this game. The Utes wanted nothing more than to end any talk of the Cougars’ chances of making it to a BCS bowl game. Unfortunately for Utah fans, BYU running back Luke Staley scored on a run with just over a minute remaining to give the Cougars the lead. The BYU defense would then pick off the Utes on the next drive, sealing the game for the Cougars.

2004 — Utah: 52, BYU: 21
— The Daily Utah Chronicle File
This game wasn’t the closest Holy War, but it had one of the greatest rewards at the end. ESPN’s College Gameday was in town for a chance to witness history, and Utah made sure it did with the 52-21 win. The Cougars kept it close through the first half, but the Utes ran away in the end. With the victory, Utah clinched a perfect regular season and punched its ticket to the Fiesta Bowl as the first BCS buster.

2006 — BYU: 33, Utah: 31
One of the most iconic endings ever in rivalry history. Down 31-27, BYU had the ball at the Utah 11-yard line with three seconds remaining to try and win the game. The Utes initially dropped nine guys into coverage, allowing Cougars QB John Beck to roam around waiting for a receiver to get open. As Utah finally got to Beck, he heaved a cross field into the end zone where Johnny Harline was waiting for the game-winning score.

2007 — BYU: 17, Utah: 10
Down by one with just over a minute to go, BYU faced 4th and 18 on its own 12 to keep their last drive alive. Cougar QB Max Hall connected with Austin Collie for a 49-yard gain to save the drive that led to the game-winning Harvey Unga touchdown run.

2009 — BYU: 26, Utah: 23
— The Daily Utah Chronicle File Photo
BYU QB Max Hall hit tight end Andrew George for a 25-yard touchdown score in overtime for the Cougar victory. The ending was dramatic, but it was what Hall said postgame that makes this game truly memorable. At the post-game press conference Hall said, “I don’t like Utah. In fact, I hate them. I hate everything about them. I hate their program. I hate their fans. I hate everything, so it felt really good to send those guys home … I think the whole university and their fans and the organization is classless. They threw beer on my family and stuff last year and did a whole bunch of nasty things. I don’t respect them and they deserved to lose.”

2012 — Utah: 24, BYU: 21
— The Daily Utah Chronicle File Photo
This game marked the last time the rivalry would be played at Rice-Eccles before the hiatus, so the MUSS got years of celebration out in one game. The fans rushed the field three times at the end of the game. The first was when the clock looked to have expired after a Cougar incomplete pass, but time was put back on the clock. The second was when the Utes blocked a field goal, but the ball was still in play. The third and final came when BYU’s game-tying field goal attempt bounced off the up-rights.

@millerjryan

@GriffDoug