SLC’s Winter Market provides affordable local food options

[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]WFM
As the winter season approaches, there is much to do here in Salt Lake City. Salt Lake boasts some of the world’s best ski resorts, hot chocolate food trucks, ice rinks, sledding, snowshoeing, the famed Christmas lights at Temple Square and much more. As football season comes to a close, many are asking themselves how to fill their weekends. The perfect Saturday option is the Winter Market, located at the Rio Grande in downtown Salt Lake.
The market reminded me a lot of the markets and bazaars of Europe and Asia, with tons of vendors, varieties of food and a fun atmosphere. The Winter Market is a continuation of the Summer Farmers Market held at Pioneer Park. Set half inside the historic Rio Grande and half outside in a heated tent, the event was full of smells, sounds and tastes.
Alison Einerson, director of marketing for the Market, thinks it has a lot of relevance for students.
“There is definitely a lot of affordable food here,” he said. “People don’t understand how affordable [the] prices are. Food comes directly to the consumer. There is no middle guy. Plus, it’s the most nutritious option.”
Some of the many options included fresh Utah fruits, veggies, nuts, meats, cheeses, seafoods and more. The food trucks converge outside, including many of the food trucks from campus as well as many I’d never heard of.
One of the vendors, Michelle Porter, owner of Vosen’s Bread Paradise, tends the Vosen booth at the Market.
“This is our first year here at the Winter Market. I really like it,” she said. “I like that it gives everyone a place to go when the weather gets bad, and it’s not too overwhelming. Once every two weeks is doable for everyone.”
For those looking for some classic, hand-crafted Christmas shopping, stay tuned for the Market on Dec. 6 and 20. Christmas crafts and goods will be available just in time for you to get your last-minute Christmas shopping done.
The Market runs every other Saturday from now until April at the Rio Grande Depot on 300 South Rio Grande Street. So gather up a group of friends and go taste, experience and enjoy the Winter Market.
@ChronyArts[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]