Miller: Utes have Delon Wright to thank for win over BYU

In the past week Utah center Jakob Poeltl has got the star treatment. He’s skyrocketed up draft boards, national pundits have fawned over him and scouts have flocked to see him play.

Poeltl is undoubtedly a star on the rise, but Wednesday should have reminded the Utah fan base who the Utes’ most important player is. Sure, Poeltl is the new sheriff in town, but it was because of Delon Wright that Utah left Provo with a 65-61 victory over BYU.

In his first season with Utah, Wright busted on the scene and the local media took notice. But unlike Poeltl’s recent rise to fame, Wright sat pretty much unnoticed on the national landscape.

Sure, a few would throw his name out as a potential NBA player, and some would mention him, mostly in passing, as one of the nation’s standouts. But Wright played through his junior year, putting up ridiculous numbers, mostly in obscurity along the Wasatch Front.

With Poeltl’s star rising, Wright took the opportunity against the Cougars to remind everyone just how good he really is. The Utah guard put up 18 points, 11 rebounds, three assists, two blocks and two steals to lead the Utes to victory, displaying his all-around game that has become the norm.

But last night, Wright added some extra sizzle.

On one memorable play in the second half, Wright stole the ball and raced down the court, chased by BYU’s Anson Winder. Winder appeared to have beat Wright to the basket, but as Winder attempted to swipe the ball, the Utah guard wrapped the ball around his back, causing Winder to fly right by, and Wright finished with a two-handed flush.

Save that one for the highlight reel, Delon.

Everyone already knew the effect that Wright could have on a game — you don’t make an All-Pac-12 first team for nothing. But Wednesday showed once again how essential he is to the Utes’ success.

And it went far beyond just one awesome play.

Wright sets the tone for Utah. If he plays hard on defense, his team follows suit. If he’s aggressive on offense, then his teammates cut and set screens. Wednesday’s contest was a game of runs, and the catalyst for many of Utah’s was Wright.

Be it a steal, a block or a nifty move to the hoop, Wright sparked the Utes on both ends of the floor.

Utah head coach Larry Krystkowiak doesn’t often give Wright much rest, and there is good reason.

With the Utes seemingly in control in the first half against BYU, Krystkowiak sat Wright for a short breather. After a turnover and a botched defensive possession, the Utah head coach turned and motioned for Wright. He’s just too important to sit.

So give Poeltl the praise, because frankly, Wright is probably used to being ignored. But the simple truth is that there is no way Utah snaps its losing streak in Provo without Wright. And to take it further, there is no way the Utes would be ranked, or be talked about as a challenger for the Pac-12 crown without their star guard.

Utah hasn’t won in Provo since 2005, and many teams have similar losing skids in the Marriott Center. It’s a tough place to play, and it takes something special to escape with a victory.

Delon Wright is that something. Let’s try to remember that.

@ryanjmiller