Obama Nominates U Professor Allan Landon to Serve on Federal Reserve

(Courtesy Photo)
(Courtesy Photo)

President Barack Obama nominated U professor Allan Landon for a seat on the Federal Reserve Board of Governors.

In a press release issued by the White House, Obama said “Allan Landon has the proven experience, judgment and deep knowledge of the financial system to serve at the Federal Reserve during this important time for our economy. He brings decades of leadership and expertise from various roles, particularly as a community banker. I’m confident that he will serve our country well.”

The board assists in setting the interest rate and influences the economy. It sought an individual with banking experience and knowledge of how the economy fluctuates. Landon fit the bill.

Previously the CEO of the Bank of Hawaii, Landon made his way to Utah where he taught as a professor in the David Eccles School of Business for several years.

Landon taught a “Profiles in Leadership” course for nearly four years alongside Taylor Randall, dean of the School of Business. The class is based on leadership situations that occur in the real world. Landon and Randall instruct and encourage students to review outside sources and engage in conversation with guest speakers from the community.

Randall said Landon is an outstanding individual.

“He is the type of person who believes in community volunteering,” Randall said. “He genuinely cares about the students that he teaches and works with them as a mentor to aid their success in and out of school. He even offered to teach the class free of charge.”

Scott Thatcher, a senior in international studies and former student of Landon’s course, said he related to Landon’s “down-to-earth” personality.

“He may have been the CEO of the Bank of Hawaii, but he always relates to each of his students,” Thatcher said. “He jokes with his students and often participates in back and forth dialogue with Randall about issues we were discussing in class. He pushed each of us to come to our own understanding on the issues.”

Thatcher found out about Landon’s nomination through a notification from a Wall Street Journal app. Thatcher said he felt honored to have been a student in one of Landon’s classes at the U.

“He has had an immense influence on the way I view business,” Thatcher said. “He showed us, by example, what it takes to be a good businessperson. It’s not just about the bottom line with professor Landon, but more about [being] ethical and caring for others.”

@mary_royal