Dining in on Valentine’s Day

— Cole Tan

No need to break the bank at a swanky restaurant this Valentine’s Day. Stay in and make this quick three course meal while showing off just how good you look in an apron.

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE: 3 TIPS FOR A BEAUTIFUL VALENTINE’S DAY

Couscous Salad

5 oz arugula (or spinach)

3 oz Near East Parmesan Couscous (or quinoa)

½ medium sized yellow onion, thinly sliced

½ tomato, cubed and drained

½ cucumber, very thinly sliced

1 Tbsp butter

walnuts to taste

bleu cheese to taste (optional)

dressing (I am partial to Annie’s Goddess Dressing when paired with fish)

Prepare the couscous per the box’s directions. Caramelize the onions in butter in a small frying pan. Toss the arugula, couscous, sautéed onions, cubed tomato, cucumber, walnuts, bleu cheese and dressing in a large mixing bowl. Serve.

Salmon

¾ lb to 1 lb of salmon fillet

1 Tbsp butter (not margarine)

1 dash of olive oil

lemon juice to taste

salt to taste

pepper to taste

Spade L Ranch Fish and Seafood Seasoning (if you want it like my mom used to make, and I promise you do)

Skin the salmon and rub it with the seasoning of your choice. Heat a skillet over medium heat and add butter and olive oil to the skillet. After the butter has melted, add the salmon to the skillet. Fry the salmon until the bottom 1/3 of the salmon looks cooked through, then flip. My mother always breaks up the salmon into smaller pieces to ensure it’s cooked all the way through and that it gets properly seasoned, but I must admit there is something visually appealing about an intact salmon fillet. Serve hot.

Chocolate Dipped Strawberries

7 oz chocolate
1 lb strawberries

Wash the strawberries and cut their stems off. Place wax paper or parchment on a flat surface. Cut the chocolate into small chunks and melt in a double boiler. If you do not have a double boiler, place the chopped chocolate in a glass bowl and microwave for 30 seconds, then stir vigorously. Repeat until all the chocolate is melted. Dip the strawberries in the chocolate, and then place on the wax paper. Let the chocolate harden, and then serve.

Drinks

White Wine
Tea (I highly recommend Tea Grotto’s Citrus Mint Tea)
Sparkling Cider

If you are looking for some mood music, I recommend a Spotify playlist featuring mellow jazz and beautiful vocals that work wonders.

@ChronyArts