Grand Canyon Sights Inspire Awe for $275

(Photo by Kiffer Creveling)
(Photo by Kiffer Creveling)
(Photo by Kiffer Creveling)

It’s 500 miles away, but it’s worth it.

The Grand Canyon is vast and breathtaking and wondrous and every other awe-inspiring adjective in the dictionary. And the drive there is almost as beautiful with the colorful landscapes of Capitol Reef, Bryce Canyon, and Zion rushing past the car windows on the way down.

On my trip to this magical place, after a last stop in Kanab, the excitement began to build inside of me. Once in Arizona, I kept my eye on the roadside mile markers as they decreased the closer we got to the Grand Canyon. When I saw the Cameron Trading Post, just after crossing a bridge, I knew we were almost there.

I couldn’t believe it as the U.S. National Park sign for the Grand Canyon came into view. I was finally in the park. There was still another 45 minutes to the Mather Campground where I was going to stay for the next four days, but just being there was incredible.

Upon arrival, I helped set up camp under the stars. The night sky was the most vivid thing that I’ve ever seen. But without too much time to spare, I got my gear ready for the next morning and hit the sack.

I woke up early from the pure excitement of seeing the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. We went to the visitor’s center to get an information pamphlet before walking there. As I got closer, moving through the sage brush and juniper trees, my view of the canyon slowly increased.

Once there, it was like a whole new world was unveiled before my eyes. Looking down, you could see the bottomless pit carved by the Colorado River over millions of years. On the other side of where our group was standing, the North Rim rose 1,000 ft. above us.

We continued the rest of the day by taking in all of the natural beauty of the landscape. We retired at the Grand Canyon Village for some ice cream cones.

The next day we headed down the river bottom at Phantom Ranch. The sun had peaked through the clouds as I got my hiking clothes ready. The temperature was 42 degress Fahrenheit when we got on the shuttle to head to the South Kaibab Trailhead. We began the descent into the depths of the canyon, first passing “Ooh Aah Point,” which is a fitting name.

As we continued going deeper into the seemingly expanding canyon, we looked back and saw where the South Rim overlook was — it was so small. We kept going down and were met by a pack of mules led by a cowboy. After trekking across the plateau, we began to hear the mighty roar of the Colorado River. Before reaching our destination, we had to cross a long bridge. When we finally got there it was like a little slice of heaven.

On the ascent back, we drank plenty of water. There are signs all over reminding you to do so, but listen to what they say — I went through three liters just to get halfway up to the refilling station.

The last step of the journey is to make your way through the dreaded switchbacks of the Bright Angel Trail. Once we reached the top we were exhausted and ecstatic at the same time.

While you’re at the Grand Canyon, I also recommend taking a stroll at Hermit’s Rest and making your way east to Yaki Point for a breathtaking sunset as the canyon glows with a red hue. And on your way home, don’t forget to stop at Desert View Watchtower to see your final glimpse of the Grand Canyon because soon it will be 500 miles away.