Spring football: Utes focused on all the details starting spring camp

10926359_10152655303812587_5833733999216651602_o.jpg

Utah football opened up its spring camp today at the Eccles Football Center and the Utes were focused on all sides of the ball. While the excitement towards Utah football was finally back, they still practiced with no pads on their first day back to work.

Head coach Kyle Whittingham said the team got off to a good start and they are paying attention to all the details right now.

“It’s always a fundamentally, technique time of the year,” Whittingham said.

The quarterbacks were dressed in their white jerseys, unlike the typical red designated for this position since red is Utah’s primary color. Travis Wilson got to see more action than the other quarterbacks, and was involved with more plays involving the entire offense. They constantly rotated between other potential quarterbacks, whether it was practicing hand-offs or throwing the ball down field into single coverage.

Wilson said he is feeling good about himself opening up spring camp, but that he has a few things to work on.

“[I need to] make sure I’m practicing harder and make sure I’m executing on the little things,” Wilson said. “So far I’m doing well. I definitely feel confident.”

Whittingham said Wilson has to continuing competing a high level.

“I think the key for Travis is consistency,” Whittingham said. “[He needs] to play for that high level day in and day out.”

Whittingham went on to say that he is keeping an eye on some tough competitions going on between a few of the corners and the safeties.

“Got some good battles going on,” he said.

The Utes briefly focused on their running game, with Devontae Booker leading the way. Booker is a Heisman-hopeful this season so all eyes were on him when he was rushing. He is Utah’s first Heisman hopeful since 2004, when quarterback Alex Smith was in the same position. Booker says it would be an honor and a dream come true if he were to win the Heisman and it is something he hopes to achieve.

“That’s one of my major goals,” Booker said.

The Utes focused a lot on their quarterback play, and Wilson appeared to be the only one throwing the ball deep, going for the touchdown. Other potential quarterbacks were focused on getting the first down.

Much of the offense is staying similar to last season and the players feel confident about the play calling.

“It’s actually nice having the same offense for another year,” Wilson said. “Just got to keep executing.”

Wide receiver Kenneth Scott agrees with Wilson.

“It feels a lot better,” Scott said. “Just different types of ways we use things. We don’t really have to learn anything new so that’s the best thing.”

Something they will try to use more is the vertical game, considering Scott’s 6-foot-3 height. Scott said he just needs to go up and grab it like a rebound.

“This year we’re implementing verticals,” Scott said. “Coach [Jim] Harding and Coach [Aaron] Roderick are doing a great job of implementing good plays and schemes for us to get open.”

Wilson said he is happy to be back out on the field.

“Feels great,” Wilson said. “Definitely feels like a long time, but it feels great. Im definitely happy to start playing football again and I’m really excited about this team and the talent we have. We just got to make we have a good spring and we’re getting better as an offense.”

Their next practice is this Thursday afternoon.

@kbrennisen