Football: Wilson early leader at QB, Thompson adjusting to defense

Spring Football.jpg

The Utes practiced in Rice-Eccles Stadium for the first time this spring as they concluded week one of their spring camp.

Left end Kylie Fitts, who sat out last season, is excited just to be on the field.

“It feels so good to be back out here again,” Fitts said. “Sitting out, watching everyone play kind of felt like [I was] not on the team. Now it feels like we’re a big family.”

RELATED: UTES FOCUS ON ALL OF THE DETAILS STARTING SPRING CAMP

Head coach Kyle Whittingham said this has been a productive week, and Saturday’s practice definitely helped, since it was the first time the players were wearing pads.

“We’re competing, and they’re running around and trying to win positions and win jobs,” Whittingham said.

In the most anticipated battle leading up to the 2015 season, Travis Wilson is leading the quarterback race, and Whittingham said no one is giving him a run for his money, at least for now.

“[He’s the] clear-cut number one,” Whittingham said.

Former quarterback Jason Thompson is making the transition from signal caller to safety this season, and he thinks this has been a good move for him, despite only playing the position for a couple of years in high school. He says his experience at quarterback helps him recognize certain plays and tendencies, but he also knows he needs to continue practicing.

“I’ve got a lot of work to do,” Thompson said. “I’ve got a lot to learn.”

Thompson said safety Tevin Carter has taken him under his wing and has been very helpful with his new position. He also said it was a mutual decision between the coaches and himself when it came to him switching from offense to defense.

“All the guys have welcomed me in and try to help me out with every little thing,” Thompson said. “It would be a lot easier to get on the field, and [I can] help out more on defense.”

Whittingham said he will really know if Thompson is up to the challenge once everything is live.

“[It] appears to be a good move for us and for him, [but it’s] still early,” Whittingham said. “How he moves, how he reacts — everything’s been good.”

Although Utah will be without last year’s stud receivers Kaelin Clay and Dres Anderson, Whittingham sees the receiving core stepping up and taking several strides in each practice. Raelon Singleton and Tyrone Smith are impressing the coaches so far by not dropping the ball and by creating separation between themselves and the corners.

As for the running backs, Devontae Booker has been limited in practice this first week of spring and will see more action when they include more live situations. But for now, Troy McCormick has been running through some of the plays in addition to the rest of the backs on the roster.

The coaching staff is going to evaluate how this week went, and by next week some guys will see their reps cut down because the coaches will try and weave through the pack.

“There’s only so many reps to be had, and if we try to give everybody reps, then nobody gets better in the long run,” Whittingham said.

Whittingham also added that if some players are upset about their reps being cut down, they are just going to need to work twice as hard and show the coaches what they can do.

“You gotta fight your way back,” Whittingham said. “The best players will rise up, and if you think you’re one of those players not getting enough playing time, you keep playing, keep making the reps count.”

In addition to focusing on certain players, the defense will need to clean up its game a little bit after Whittingham said they lined up offsides way too many times Saturday morning. However, he did mention they are looking good overall with a revamped coaching staff.

“Defense seems to be moving around well,” Whittingham said. “Defensive staff has a lot of energy, doing a great job of trying to rip the ball out.”

Week two of spring camp will begin Tuesday.

@kbrenneisen