Law Students Learn Counterterrorism Through Simulation

(Photo by Chris Ayers)
Chris Ayers
(Photo by Chris Ayers)
(Photo by Chris Ayers)
(Photo by Chris Ayers)

What do lawyers do during a terrorist attack? U law students found out first-hand through terrorism simulations run by the law school.

For eight years, Amos Guiora, a professor of law at the U, has been incorporating a simulation series in his curriculum. Guiora experienced a simulation through the Defense Forces 28 years ago that made him never want to do one again. He decided to go into academia and changed the simulation process to help students prepare for the outside world.

This year’s focus was terrorist attacks. Three groups of seven must use the supposed power given to them to make lawful decisions about the given scenario. The program is designed to familiarize students with the reality of high-power positions and their responsibilities in the work force.

Aaron Dewald, a Ph.D. student at the College of Education, said students experienced the reality of working with a terrorist attack-based case.

“Students not only learn aspects of counterterrorism and law, but they learn how to teach,” Dewald said. “The simulation is a teaching and learning experience.”

The simulation has two courses, one of which is a design program that establishes the scenario beforehand. Dewald’s focus is psychology and said having a design component encourages students to find the intersection between knowledge and the skills they must have in the workforce.

“The purpose of the simulation is for the student to resolve and understand paradoxes,” Guiora said. “There are five points that students ought to take from the simulation.”

Both the courses prior to and during the simulation are designed around enhancing Guiora’s five points. The first is for students to work with power and see the potential and limitations of it. The second is to create a deeper appreciation for the balance of individual and state rights. The third point involves political considerations and looking at their impact on one’s state. Fourth, Guiora wants his students to implement the leadership and teamwork skills enhanced in the simulations. And the final point is to provide students with the ability to advocate and articulate as lawyers.

“The ideas of collaboration and team work prepare students for employment,” Guiora said. “Employers also want to see that students have those skills.”

@chriswritine