Football: Defense, Wilson perform well in last scrimmage before Red-White game

11130383_10152674075697587_1118929091552292982_o.jpg

The Utes were back on the field on Saturday for their last scrimmage before the anticipated Red-White spring game next weekend, and the defense was in control. The first unit didn’t allow any passing touchdowns while giving up just one on the ground to quarterback Travis Wilson.

Additionally, the defense forced a couple of fumbles, but Wilson feels optimistic of how his offense played on Saturday.

“[Personally, I] felt really good,” Wilson said. “[We] did a lot better in the situational stuff. Still had the two fumbles, but other than that, did a good job of taking care of the football.”

Wilson said the entire team could work on fine-tuning the details, but head coach Kyle Whittingham said Wilson looks more at ease with the offense than the senior ever has before. This is partly because of the off-season training he has undergone and also because fewer people are questioning his ability to lead the team.

“Last year, he was going through all that uncertainty, and it was tough for him,” Whittingham said. “This year, there is none of that. He’s in the best shape of his life. [He has] complete command of the offense.”

In the scrimmage, Wilson threw for 67 yards, and backup Chase Hansen threw for 80 yards. In reference to the offensive line, Whittingham believes it did a better job in this scrimmage than in past ones.

“There were very few sacks today, and I think they did a good job of protecting the quarterback,” Whittingham said.

Whittingham also mentioned how the offense is looking to gain more players over the summer. That said, he continues to see growth from within this group.

“We’re not real deep there, we only got 10 of them that are healthy,” Whittingham said. “Sam Tevi is doing a good job. Hiva Lutui is having a nice spring. If we had to play tomorrow, he may be the starting center.”

Kenneth Scott, who had 44 yards receiving in the scrimmage, claims the offense is more comfortable this season running plays than it was last year at this point, and that going against a defense that knows what Scott and company will run brings an entirely new challenge.

“Defense knows everything we’re running, that’s the beauty of it,” Scott said. “You want to go against a defense that knows everything, so that makes it harder for us. They put us in a position where we’re at a disadvantage, and we’re supposed to overcome them.“

Despite only being able to participate two out of three days each week for practice, someone who continues to impress the coaching staff each practice is Reggie Porter.

“[We can use Porter] for sure if his knee can continue to come along,” Whittingham said. “So far, he might be the most pleasant surprise of spring football by the way he’s playing.”

Porter thinks some of the defensive success stemmed from the players’ mindset, which never faltered throughout the scrimmage. However, he still sees room for improvement.

“I could have done a little bit better,” Porter said. “I wish I could have done better on two plays with Kenneth Scott, but overall I think it was okay. From today, I feel like I got to know my down and distance better, know situations better, like where to play and where not to play.”

With the end of spring camp approaching, defensive back Dominique Hatfield said he needs to continue to work hard, even after camp has ended.

“[I need to work on] being more patient, try to get some more weight on me, and that’s pretty much it,” Hatfield said. “We just [need to] do what the coaches tell us to do. They put us in the right position to make the plays. As long as we make the plays, we’ll be good all season.”

@kbrenneisen