Brenneisen: Take Advantage of Cheap Sporting Events While You Can

Chris Samuels

[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]What’s one thing that most college students do not have a lot of, if any at all?

Money. Ask anyone.

sports column.jpg
The MUSS tries to distract a Washington State player from making a free throw during the men’s basketball game at the Jon M Huntsman Center, Wednesday, January 21st, 2015.

Every thrifty college student looking for entertainment should spend some of that sparse money on going to Utah sporting events, rather than, say, a movie. Utah sports are cheap. There is no time like the now, and this is especially true with the price of events here at the U, which sometimes won’t even cost you a penny.

Sports are an essential part of most major universities, and they continue to play a role on a professional level. It’s not necessary to know all the ins and outs (or anything at all, for that matter) about a specific sport; it’s just fun to attend them.

Aside from the obvious reasons (it’s tons of fun), collegiate events are substantially cheaper than any professional sporting event that you’d want to attend. Not to mention that when you graduate, those once-inexpensive tickets that you were getting are no longer cheap.

Most tickets to sporting events can cost upwards of $100 per game for a good seat. However, at the U a student can join the MUSS for a football season for only $50. Any other season ticket package starts at $185.

This is a steal, and a shirt is included, which is always a bonus. After graduation, this type of deal will most likely not exist. And even if a person is late to sign up for the MUSS, students still get a free ticket to one game for the season; how awesome is that?

Not only are there those free tickets for football, but there is free admission to numerous other sports.

Gymnastics is just as exciting as any other sport here at the U, and every single meet was free for students during the 2014-2015 season. All students had to do was bring their student ID and they were good to go.

It does not seem like anything could get better than this, but it does. Along with the free ticket comes a free guest, and now there is certainly no reason not to attend.

By bringing a family member or a friend, this will offset any boredom that can come from sports, especially ones that you may not be familiar with. The sports that allowed this plus-one rule last year were baseball, soccer, volleyball and women’s basketball.

There really is something for everyone to enjoy, and if for some crazy reason there is someone out there who does not enjoy sports, they can just go to have fun and hang out with friends. There’s nothing wrong with that. There will probably be a group of people who are not really watching the game, but they are there having a good time rooting for their university.

College offers students plenty of opportunities to get involved, and attending a sporting event here and there can make the students more involved than they think.

Another thing to keep in mind is to go to everything, not just the big-name events. Go support the smaller sports too, because while the football players love having the enthusiasm from the crowd, it means somewhat more to the smaller sports because they do not typically see as big of a turnout.

So, be an awesome fan and go support whatever and whoever possible here at the U. Athletes of all sports love seeing people other than their families go to their games.

Whether it is joining the MUSS or attending a few of those free games, it is an opportunity that cannot be taken for granted. There is basically something going on every night regarding Utah Athletics, so if you can’t squeeze in a game one night of the week, then go the next night — or the night after that.

Your time in college will fly by, so make someone go with you to a game, or make new friends there. Do not be the only person sitting in a dorm room with no friends to hang out with because they are all at the game. That’s just depressing.

@kbrenneisen

[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column width=”1/1″][vc_empty_space height=”32px”][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column width=”1/1″][vc_facebook type=”standard”][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column width=”1/1″][vc_tweetmeme type=”horizontal”][/vc_column][/vc_row]