Spotlight: Jason Whittingham making most of Senior Year

Senior Jason Whittingham hopes to accomplish everything possible in the last first game of his collegiate career.

Whittingham has always been dedicated to training, whether it is spring camp, fall camp or in-season practices. But this year he is stepping it up even more. In addition to the current football schedule, he makes sure to get an extra workout in each day on top of that and school.

“I want to make the most out of this last year and I feel like this [extra training] could do that,” Whittingham said.

The team workouts cover almost every aspect of the game, but Whittingham does everything twice. He does more lifting, footwork and everything in between.

Fellow senior Devontae Booker has played alongside Whittingham his entire career and sees the type of dedication he puts in every day. Although the two do not play on the same side of the ball, they do have those occasional run-ins and Booker notices the dedication.

Booker was not aware of Whittingham’s extra hours on the field and in the gym, but it came as no surprise to him because this is exactly the type of guy Whittingham is and he is helping to improve the team.

“Even when we’re going at it in crossover periods against the defense, I see him running 100 percent every play,” Booker said.

Giving it his all has been one of the main driving forces for Whittingham this season, but last year was a different story. As a sophomore, Whittingham was a Pac-12 honorable mention selection and recorded 81 tackles in only 10 games. He had a promising junior season ahead of him.

After getting off to a decent start in the first two games of the 2014 campaign, Whittingham was forced to watch the next eight games on the sideline due to injury, but was eventually returned to the field to play the last three games. He ended the season with 20 tackles. But he did have one thing to count on — the next set of 12 games. The same cannot be said for the present.

Whittingham is unsure where he will be next year when September rolls around, which is why he is going above and beyond all requirements, and hopefully, expectations.

“It’s been a big motivator just to play every down like it could be my last,” Whittingham said.

Whittingham does not see any downside to this being his final ride as a Ute, however. Instead, he is looking at more of the responsibilities that go along with being a veteran for this team, which include showing the younger ones the ropes.

As a senior, the freshmen not only look up to Whittingham, but they respect him.

“The biggest upside is that opportunity to lead the young guys, to be a mentor and to show them the way and help them learn the system,” Whittingham said.

Whittingham feels the pressure from the new ones looking at him in all instances and this is another reason why he gives everything he has night in and night out. When all eyes are on him, he has to set a good example as a leader of the team and Booker, a team captain, can tell his efforts are paying off.

“I see Jason out there working hard, every day,” Booker said.

Whittingham will continue to haul in the extra hours to give him any bit of an edge he might need against any opponent. He will continue to listen to his coaches, who are hammering in the final details. He wants the same result playing Michigan as last year — a win.

While some of the Michigan players have been trash-talking the Utes, Whittingham would rather let his actions do the talking, which will not be too hard to accomplish because Whittingham trusts he can rely on the fan-base.

“I just want to thank everyone for supporting the team and hopefully we can give the fans a good show this year,” Whittingham said.

Whittingham wants to start off the season with a bang. He will do everything he can to secure that win and will be ready to go come Thursday night.

@kbrenneisen

like us on facebook