Law Building Opening Ceremony

With the bang of a gavel, Debora Threedy, a professor in the College of Law announced, “This law school is now in session!”

On Sept. 1, guests of honor, students, alumni and donors filled the 450-seat auditorium of the S.J. Quinney College of Law building for the department’s grand opening. The ceremony featured seven speakers: College of Law dean Robert Adler, U President David Pershing, Utah Governor Gary Herbert, U.S. Senator Orrin Hatch (R-Utah), Reverend Rick Lawson on behalf of the S.J. and Jessie E. Quinney Foundation, and second-year law students Jugraj Dhaliwal and Krystaly Koch.

“Together we believe that we have created a building for the future,” Pershing said.

The U’s law school is among the top 15 percent in the nation and is the alma mater of almost a third of Governor Herbert’s judicial appointments.

“I have every confidence that in this building the law school will shape the same caliber leaders it has in the past,” Herbert said.

The new structure will be home to new programs the college hopes to launch. Dean Robert Adler announced the new 100-100 initiative, which sets a goal to achieve 100 percent bar passage and employment for graduates. Adler also introduced a new scholarship named after U professor Richard Aaron.

Herbert and Hatch finished their speeches by noting the impact the law school has on the community.

“I know that the rule of law in this nation is in good hands,” Herbert said.

@idothejohnwayne