Wilson’s Play a Solid Start to his Senior Season

One week before Utah’s season opener, which drew the biggest crowd in years to fill Rice-Eccles Stadium, senior Travis Wilson was announced as the starting quarterback, ready to begin the 2015 football season.

Wilson’s poise about the game was the calm before the storm that he brought to the field Thursday night against Michigan.

If anyone still had doubts, Wilson has finally proved them wrong.

In the first quarter, Wilson wired an electric start for Utah. Taking the game by surprise, Wilson rushed the first four yards to Utah’s 29, and then another 13 yards to make it at Utah’s 42 — making it very clear he was going to be a leader from the start.

Wilson combined a grounded attitude with a collective effort from his teammates to get the win.

“I just felt comfortable. I had trust in the guys around me, the wide receivers made some big plays tonight for me, the O-Line did a great job blocking. I’m really grateful for those guys in front of me,” Wilson said.

Senior Quarterback Travis Wilson (7) runs an option play in the second half against the Michigan Wolverines at Rice-Eccles Stadium, Thursday, September 3, 2015. Utah won the contest, 24-17. Chris Samuels, Daily Utah Chronicle. Photo credit: Chris Samuels

Heading into the game, Wilson predetermined his success by eliminating any self-doubt.

“I just played with confidence — that was my biggest thing. And, obviously, taking care of the football,” Wilson said. “Defense did a great job at getting turnovers and getting picks, grateful for that. I just overall played with confidence and throwing it like I know how to.”

Wilson also generated a lot of chemistry with receiver Britain Covey, and together the duo made an impressive impact on offense.

“He’s a great guy, he’s a great athlete, he’s a great addition to this team,” Wilson said of Covey. “Throughout fall camp he really stepped up in the slot. He made some great catches tonight, and I definitely feel like the refs screwed him out of his first college touchdown, anyway.”

Covey made some big plays throughout the night. One opportunity was sniped after Wilson completed a pass to Covey in the second quarter, who was then tossed into the end-zone by Michigan’s defensive back Jabrill Peppers. The ball was reset as a first down for Utah. Running back Devontae Booker completed the touchdown on the next play.

Entering the fourth year of Wilson’s experience at Utah, he relies somewhat on the variables that his teammates contribute to the scheme, and he has made that known.

“I definitely know the offense a little bit better, I have more confidence and more experience, but give credit to all the wide receivers who made some big plays for me tonight,” Wilson said following the win.

Though Wilson may not always want to take the credit, he certainly deserves it. The zero turnovers, save the Hail Mary throw that was intercepted right at the half, was a huge plus for Wilson, and his teammates are noticing a calmer, more mature Wilson in the pocket.

“You know, Coach Whitt is really big on ball security and limiting turnovers on offense, and I thought that Travis did a phenomenal job tonight doing that,” Covey said. “He has a pick on his stats, but that’s at the end-of-a-half play. I think that was very big, though. [Wilson] was very smart with the ball.”

@laurenrose324