“Making Flaws Pretty” with Local Artist, Stephanie Swift

The Salt Lake City arts scene is a growing success, with a collection of many excellent local artists. One of these inventive local artists is Stephanie Swift, an Omaha native who calls Salt Lake home. I stumbled upon Swift’s work recently while looking for a gift for my dad at the Downtown Farmers Market. As my dad is from the Salt Lake area, I wanted to find something with local flare. A colorful artist’s booth caught my eye with photos of Salt Lake City landmarks enhanced with vibrant colors. My sister and I instantly fell in love and had to purchase one, which is when I became intrigued with this artist.

snelgrove13.jpg

I had to know more about the person behind this art, and what I have discovered is a truly talented individual. Swift works as a graphic designer, using photos as her inspiration, then illustrates them into art. I spoke with Swift over the phone and asked her to describe her back-story and how she got her start as an artist.

“I had been working for a company who was doing trade show stuff with comic books,” Swift said. “I really liked the work and had always liked old signs, so I began doing my own art. I was doing it just for myself until my sister encouraged me to put my work into the Utah Arts Festival, so I did.”

broncose_new_cs4.jpg

But why Salt Lake City? Of all the places in the world, why Utah? Swift herself is from Omaha, Nebraska, and does not limit her art to just one city. She creates art featuring famous landmarks in multiple cities.

“People find an emotional connection with my art — they are always excited to tell me their stories,” she said. “I hear about people’s first dates, favorite spots and stories around the city, I love it.”

Finally, I asked Swift to put her art into her own words, and what she came up with encompassed it perfectly: “Making flaws pretty.” This could not describe her art better — she takes old signs, buildings and places in Utah and revamps them in her photos. Swift’s art is also versatile, appealing to a wide audience.

If you are interested in purchasing some of Swift’s art, you can check her out on her website, PrettyLittlePixels.com, or see her in person at the Utah Arts Festival and the Pioneer Park Farmers Market.