Marriott Library hosts first-ever “Hooplaza”

On Wednesday the Marriott Library will host its first ever “Hooplaza” event to make students aware of the resources the library offers.

The event, to be held just outside the East plaza from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., will provide students with information and entertainment. Along with tables for different library departments (such at the Rare Books Division), there will be popcorn, cotton candy and pizza, as well as a variety of carnival-themed games. The library will also have a social media table, which will reward students for connecting with the facility on online platforms.

“We want to take elements of the library and put them out on the plaza,” said Ian Godfrey, director of library facilities.

The highlight of Hooplaza is a scavenger hunt, with 15 clues hidden inside the library. Participating students will be entered into a drawing to win a PlayStation 4, an iPad or a GoPro.

Heidi Brett, spokesperson for the Marriott Library, said she wants students to know about all the library has to offer beyond books and quiet study spaces.

“Our purpose is to show students that we are proactive, that we care, that we have faculty and librarians and staff that can really help,” she said.

Among some of the lesser-known amenities, the library has computer rooms and video editing services, a writing lab and a 3D printer.

“It’s a good opportunity for students to learn about all the different things the library has to offer,” Brett said. “We want students to know that we’re here for them.”

Hooplaza corresponds with a rebranding of the Marriott Library that occurred this summer, focusing on the tagline “All you need.”

“We just hope to see everybody there” said Godfrey.

@sarahnlegg